1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MJT in Aztec Gold - New bass build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9mmMike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Just a couple quick phone pics of the new MJT in Aztec Gold

Specs:

Super-duper light ash in Aztec Gold from MJT
    Aguilars with grounding plate
    Shielded
    Anodized Fender PG
    Vintage-style bridge
    Mojo harness (CTS, Switchcraft)
    Fender Japan '62 RI Jazz neck ('02) & tuners (needed this light neck and light small-post tuners to combat neck dive.
    TI JF344's
    Rosewood tug bar and (mostly) gold hardware, including heavy gold knobs to fight neck dive.

The bass weighs 7.5 lbs. and is perfectly balanced.

MJT G01. MJT G02. MJT G03.

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Turned out great, congrats! Love working with MJT, they are artists.
    dP

9mmMike likes this.
  3. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    drool

Love that!

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
  5. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I've obviously been lurking in the classifieds too long, I kept scrolling up and down searching for a price. Very nice bass. Cream pup covers would be a nice touch.

6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Can't go wrong with gold. Nice!

9mmMike likes this.
  7. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    OUTSTANDING!

9mmMike likes this.
  8. That is a bling thang of beauty! And I think pretty original, I've never seen that done quite like that before. Though I'd be tempted to go all gold hardware too.

9mmMike likes this.
  9. 9mmMike

Thanks! Not that I was not tempted....I built it with what I had on-hand. I used my only gold bridge and tuning machines (would not fit on that CIJ neck anyway) on a Mary Kaye I am building...

10. The P in my avatar is a 60's Fender body with all gold hdw. Jazz neck and Audere 4 band. I call it the Pimpmobile or Pinkenstein! Haha

9mmMike likes this.
  11. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Beautiful bass! Did MJT tell you that ash would be the lightest in weight? Could you break out how much your body and neck weigh? I've thought about DIY but without neck numbers it's hard to tell how much my finished product would weigh.

9mmMike likes this.
  12. That bass looks amazing,with the gold on gold :thumbsup::cool:

9mmMike likes this.
  13. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Nice. I have been thinking of a similar design myself!

9mmMike likes this.
  14. 9mmMike

Well....I was in the middle of a custom order with them as I wanted a light bass made from ash and I had seen them sell several online that were just a little over 4 lbs. I had an early 70's neck with a narrow heel that did not fit any body I had ever bought so I sent it to Matt and he test fit it to one of their off the shelf bodies. It fit great but the bolt holes did not align and left a large gap at the heel. "No sweat", they say and order me a body from their supplier that must be under 4lb. 4oz, ash and fit my 70's neck. They sent the first one back (too heavy) and the next one was only 4 lbs.! Yahtzee!
    Result of that work is here - MJT Sherwood Green Precision (snow day build)

While waiting for that one, an even lighter body showed up 3 lb. 7oz. in ash. I bought it immediately since I had this gold bass project up next anyway. I bought a real nice Musikraft neck from the classifieds but it was over half a pound heavier (nearly 3 lbs with vintage tuning machines) than all the necks I had in my inventory and those were already too heavy for such a light body.
    The neck I used, I just found in the classifieds a few days ago, typical TBer, did me a great deal and also shipped it really fast. The CIJ neck is a jazz and is very light (did not weigh it, sorry) but it is obvious as soon as you pick it up. It also has small machines (funny since it is supposed to be Japan's version of a '62 RI) and these saved critical weight at the most critical point. I'd guess that it was closer to 2 lbs. than 2.5. I had some Hipshots (love those guys!) on stand by but I did not use them. Would have had to drill the bushing holes anyway as the CIJ necks have much smaller holes.
    As noted, I actually used the heaviest tone/vol knobs I had to put weight where I needed it. Usually as I look to shed some ozs., I use the old 70's mystery metal knobs or the new AV RI aluminum ones. I could make this bass lighter but it would mean removing weight from all the wrong places. Right now, it is perfect.

For your project, I'd use the rule of thumb of body-weight plus a skosh over 4 lbs. in "other bits" for a P bass. 4 lb. body gets you a bass that is wee bit over 8 lbs but well under 9.

And ash is not reliably the lightest wood. It is just what I wanted for these two basses. I had a Fender ash body that weighed over 7 lbs stripped! One of the prettiest that I'd every owned but an 11 + lb. bass, I did not need! :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  15. MrRobert

MrRobert

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Man, your bass looks killer! I am considering ordering a body from mjt to replace the heavy body on my '63 reissue, and was wondering if you could update this thread your opinion now after having it for a few months? Rock on!

16. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    I am loving that in a big way! MJT rocks!!

17. 9mmMike

Thanks guys! Great timing! I just put this one back together. I had to send the neck out to my friend Erik at wardpedneck.com . It had a back-bow that would not allow me to dial in any relief with my low-tension TI's. Still looks and sounds great in my opinion.
    I have been playing my other MJT - Sherwood Green - MJT Sherwood Green Precision (snow day build) - as my number one for months now. I absolutely love this bass. The gold one will now start going to gigs as well as I added a Hipshot drop-d to it when I put the fixed neck back on and I find that handy once in awhile.
    A few vids of the MJT Green bass in our new trio here -
    MJT does rock!

18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

Would

19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Sometimes I return to look at this and gaze at the simple perfection here, truly a unique thing of beauty, rare in it's loveliness.
    Mrs. wraub quite likes it also.

9mmMike likes this.
  20. 9mmMike

Thanks!