1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM replacement pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ach, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Which MM replacement pickup will sound as near as possible to modern MM Stingray4 pickup?

I heard Nordies are pretty close to old MM pickups, but in any way, any more competitors?

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just saw a band on Saturday that his MM had a Bartolini pup in it. He was playing through my rig, but it sounded pretty good.

3. I am actually interested in building a bass with a pair of MM humbuckers, and need a closer tone (to Stingray) as possible

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    get the Nordy MM4.2 ,, it works for me

DSCF0007-5.

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I also know Wilkensen makes MM pickups. I have them in one of my OLP Basses. Not sure how I feel about them. They are pretty bright, but I don't play that bass much.

6. one more question regarding MM pickup: does it low output if used without any preamp?

i think so becuase these pups has resistance around 1.8--2.5 kOhms, pretty low i guess.

7. ecufunk

ecufunk

Nov 19, 2007
    well i´m happy with my nordstrand 4.2 its great it has all the sounds it can be vintage to modern its perfect to me...mmm ibut if you want something very hi-fi or modern i think delano is your pickup the MC4 they have the AL alnico version or the FE ceramic more hi-fi...i think the sound has to be powerfull at the low-mids that makes you have presence