1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM Stingray vs Fender Jazz???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jobiebass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. 2eq MM Stingray

53.7%
  2. Fender Jazz Deluxe

46.3%
  1. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    narrowed it down to 2,

2eq 4 string MM Stingray - natural
    USA Fender Jazz Deluxe - anything but black or sunburst

which would you choose????

rate out of ten for

Tone
    Looks
    Ease of play
    Weight
    Build Quality

2. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    that's like apples and oranges...:confused:

3. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    how so?

I suppose the MM is more like a P-Bass regarding the pickups.
    But surely you can still compare 2 bass's that are not all that similer

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have a few Jazz basses and they are amazing but if you need to nail the Fender P tone too, a SR is more versatile.

I have always been a Fender Jazz/Sadowsky Jazz guy but recently fell in love with Stingrays and Sterlings.

It is important to understand what you are really looking for though.

5. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I have a Fretless Jazz which im keeping, but I need a fretted one so unsure wether to stick with fender and get another Jazz or go with the 'ray.

Im thinking the 'ray because im a big chillis fan, but if im gonna blow £800 on a new bass I really want to know ive chose the right one.

6. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    You can get an excellent growl out of a Stingray...possibly a bit smoother than a jazz, but easier to growl. Some jazz basses have all the growl in the world, yet some are just blah.

jcsk8 and jallenbass like this.
  7. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    This is just opinion. They both have a great necks but the SR is a bit too ringy at times.
    To me the round pickguard is fugly and they Jazz is sweet looking and has THE TONE. Having said that I might pick up an OLP someday but eh...

8. True. And I suggest you get.....

BOTH.

jcsk8 and Clarence Walker like this.
  9. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    IM SOLD!!!!!:hyper:
    now what about which bass? lol

10. I've always prefered Jazz basses. They just seem to cut through a mix better than a SR and have more bottom end. With that said, the SR's are build like a tank and their necks play effortlessly.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Well, from my experience, it is really apples to oranges except for one simple fact. I would not bring my Musicman into the studio and expect it to be well received every time. In fact, i've recorded countless times with a musicman and its only really worked 1 out of 6 times perfectly.

To be honest, I shunned off Fenders for a very long time. I liked the musicman looks, the tone I got playing live. The necks are wonderful. The design is well thought out. But all that changed when I bought a Fender Jazz for $200. Since that fateful day I've found that Jazzes have a deeper tone. They have the ability to cut through a mix just the same by favoring the bridge pickup. They record well just about every time. They are always received well and I've never lost a gig playing one. Plus there are so many options to mod them to get your tone that its insane. With a musicman, your stuck with their tone, and their ideas. Having a Jazz opens up a world of possibilities.

So, my 2 cents. If you have to have just one bass, it should be a Jazz.

jcsk8 likes this.
  12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd go the jazz, definitely!

13. Just out of interest, why no consideration for the HS and HH stingrays?

14. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I've never owned a J Deluxe, so I can't really comment on it's tone, but I do own both a 2 band MM 'Ray and a couple of passive Js. I love both as well depending upon what's needed, but unless you're getting a 2 PUP 'Ray, I'd say that the single PUP 'Ray is not nearly as versatile as a J. Regardless, I favor the J.

15. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Price mainly, HH would be great because I could play like I do on a Jazz on the neck pup, but finding a 2nd hand one in england is proving VERY hard. even 2/3eq H are selling for £800 2nd hand over here where you can pick them up in the US for half that ($800) and im not spending £1300 ($2600) on a new one. By budget doesnt streach that far.

16. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    sure you can compare everything.... but in the end it really comes down to what kind of sound you're looking for...
    if you're looking for both sounds: get both... if not: get the one you'll need the most...

17. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I agree. To be fair, my stingray is my most played bass, and it cuts through very well live. Also, it feels so good to play- the unfinished neck, the look, everything. But I have found that recording with it can be limiting. It gets a great thump, but it will always sound like a stingray, which can be a bit thin at times. I've been using about three pedals to tweak it to closer to the sound in my head, but it is coming up short for what I am playing now.

Now, jazzes are very versatile, but they lack a distinct flavor or character as a result. I have sold all my jazzes and not once regretted it, but that's just me. However, for recording they will give you more options.

In a nutshell, the jazz will sound "prettier", for lack of a better word, and the ray will always sound gritty. Players choice- they really are like apples and oranges in that you will not get a ray tone EVER from a jazz, nor will a ray give that smooth, warm tone of a jazz.

Just my opinion.

18. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    I own 2 String Rays ('78 2-band maple neck and '90 3-band 4-string rosewood neck) and 2 American Fender Deluxe (fretted and fretless 4-string). Both are awesome basses for the money. They are really different animals though. You couldn't go wrong with either. Sting Ray is little heavier with a more aggressive tone. Jazz is lighter and has a more smooth buttery tone.

Own both! :hyper:

Sting Ray:

Slap bass dream. If you like to slap bass a lot this is your weapon. More of a in your face tone. Little more of a P-bass type of bass with not a lot of tone variation (9v 2-band EQ, one pickup). They sound great and cut well in the mix. Very punchy and growly. They tend to weigh more than the Jazz Deluxe. Well balanced. Very well built and has good resale value. Maple has a noticably brigher tone than the rosewood neck. I prefer the maple for slap bass and rosewood for finger playing.

Tone - 10
    Looks - 10
    Ease of play - 10
    Weight - 8
    Build Quality - 10

American Fender Deluxe:

Sound is smooth as butter and very growly. Much larger selection of tones (2 pickups, 18V 3-band EQ). Dead silent pickups. Sounds like what a Jazz should in many recordings. Great highs, mids, and lows. Very light and well balanced. Works well in the mix. Plays very well. Has good resale value.

Tone - 10
    Looks - 10
    Ease of play - 10
    Weight - 10
    Build Quality - 10

19. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I think that has just sold it for me. Well im not recording anything serious because I have no asperations to be in a serious band. Ive got a Jazz, ok its fretless, but its a jazz all the same. I was wanting the Stingray anyways just for something a little diffrent then Fenders (altho its designed/created by leo fender im lead to believe) so I think thats the choice for me. :bassist:

20. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Jazz

Tone 10
    Looks 10
    Ease of play 10
    Weight (depends)
    Build Quality (depends)

SR

Tone 5