Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM style replacement 5 string who makes them

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by truckin88, Oct 18, 2005.

1. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I have a TBC 5 string bass, and want to change the pickup, it a MM style humbucker, but the thing is, unlike ernie balls the case looks like a 4 string (with the mounthing ears) the only other one I have found like this is the OLP copy. I think Bartolini makes the replacement, but how can I be sure?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

go to bartolini.net and look it up on their website.

Missing something here becuase 4 and 5 string MM pups both look alike just different dimentions, and they both have the same screw tower arrangement since they were all designed to replaced original MM pups, which have 3 ears. Barts having the same setup and dimensions.

3. I remember seeing a company (german i think) that made MM style pickups that had a wooden surround (instead of black plastic), and apparently they are **** hot!

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    There are 2 different size five string MM pickups on the market. The one that Ernie Ball uses has no mounting ears and is spaced for a 17mm ctc bridge.
    The one that almost everybody else uses has the ears and is longer. The one with the ears will accommodate longer spacings, like the 19mm that Lakland uses. We offer several spacings in each different size cover.
    HTH!

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't play 5's and apparently don't pay much attention to them either cause apparently the EB 5's don't have ears, which I thought they did. So, I was missing something.

The surround idea would be a viable option if for whatever reason you wanted to install one without ears - if it fits in your routing.

I've had Carey's 4.2 and it was a good pup. Nords are the hottest pups on the market now and I'm guessing if one doesn't fit your needs, unlikely any others would either - at least in terms of alnico 5's.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  7. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    thanks fellas, the major problem, is my company deals with other companies so I over looked norstrand, this is a personal bass, with personal value, so I just want to improve it. Will be taking measurements. Thanks

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Didn't understand that at all, but I bet dropping a norstrand pickup in your bass would improve it.

Isn't that what you wanted?