1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mod my warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist22, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    I've had enough with my Thumb 4 BO. Dont get my wrong, i LOVE that growl for funk and all that but when i'm in a big band setting and i do walking basslines and try to get that walking-bass (double bass) sound, i'm not sure whether its the preamp (onboard) or the bass itself, but the high frequencies are just so harsh and it just cuts through everything. however if i try to turn down the treble then it just gets lost into big boomy wafflely bass.
    i was looking at maybe swapping the guts of my thumb with a bartolini EZQ or Bartolini TBIBT. could i get a more mellow sound with those?

Arrrrggghhh so frustrating....

Thanks guys...

2. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    O one more thing, i had a look at the wiring diagrams for the bart EZQ, http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/ezq.pdf , and i have no idea if it will work in a 3 hole config like that on my thumb.
    if someone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

3. evilmurf

evilmurf

Jun 29, 2009
    louisville
    buy a roland v bass. it will cover all your giging needs

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Try boosting mids for that sound, lows just end up being boomy.

The EZQ has short shafts, so they might not fit through the top of your Thumb. If they do however, you could get a vol/blend pot for the first hole. Warwick has them, although you might be able to find them other places.

5. i used to have a six piece jazz/swing group where i played upright exclusively. but at one point, i had to have some last minute repair work done on my upright and was forced to play my electric on one gig. i had a warwick thumb neckthru at the time and i know what you're talking about. so i just went to the store and bought myself some flatwounds and it worked fine. now, it was no gut-strung acoustic tone machine, but it definitely took care of the harshness and the growly bite. i'd give that a shot before i started messing with the electronics.

6. Don't mod it.

Try different EQ first or buy a cheaper bass that fits. Maybe try muting?

7. Sorry but why would you buy a thumb BO to get a DB like tone? It's like the worst possible bass for this! The thumb BO does not have strong lows and fundamental, but it has a lot of low and hi mids. that's it. Best way to get it where you want would be to a bart pre/pickups in + an external eq. You'd need very powerful eq to get that boomy wafflely bass. And man, I got a thumb BO, and I love it, it's just not made for these kinds of things.