1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding a JMJ Mustang with a P90??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by breen gurdy, Apr 13, 2020.

1. breen gurdy

breen gurdy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    NYC
    Hey,

Any of you who are familiar with Nick Campbell the LA bass player might recognize his musicmaster that he put a goldfoil and p90 in...

I have a JMJ Mustang and have been thinking about grabbing one of Serek’s “B90s” and putting it in the bridge position. Its a p90 but wound for bass. I attached a picture with a template cut out of the pick up.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I love my JMJ but I was thinking I could make it a little more versatile adding a bridge pick up and didnt necessarily want a regular single coil. Thoughts, questions, concerns, comments open for discussion. Hope everyone is doing well during quarantine!

Attached Files:

starjag likes this.
  2. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    andare and breen gurdy like this.
  3. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do it.

breen gurdy likes this.
  4. Adee

Adee

Sep 22, 2005
    UK
    Did you do it !!??

I think it would look cool, I'd be tempted to move the input jack to the side of the body and add Vol / Tone / blend to the bell plate, similar to the Mustang Performer, I also did this to a PJ Mustang and it really opened up the tonal variation, so you could dial in that sweet spot

116263386_316525496387135_3982665642112702476_n.jpg

5. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Love the idea. You could go with stacked vol/tone knobs for full control. Do it please :)

Adee likes this.
  6. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    If you don’t care about resale value on your JMJ, then do as you please. It might make the JMJ harder to sell though. Your call.

7. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    lots of jmj's out there, do it if you want, re-sell, who cares?

8. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    I wouldnt , P90s are supper awsome and not the faint of heart

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021