Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Model P pickups

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by bassfart, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Hey Justin, just wondering if you used these pickups in any of your P basses and if you do, what do you like about them?

2. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I meant the Dimarzio Model P

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I have (in a parts P), for the price, not sure you can do better. Fat tone, and beautiful mids....

Good luck!

EDIT: I see this question wasn't for me, so my apologies....Still a great P pickup!

4. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Thanks gidbass for your input, any and all is welcome.

5. I have had Dimarzio P's in all my P'basses. I love them to death.

6. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Man, I'll bet their great. Always wanted to try one. I have one of those new Aguilar P-pickups that they gave me at NAMM, so that'll be the next one I'll try...from all accounts they're pretty delicious. But someday I see one of those DiMarzio's in my future too.

7. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I have the Aguilar P pickup right now and it does RULE, but I have always been curious about the Model P. I here Aguilar is putting out a HOT P bass pickup, I'd be interested in trying that one out as well.

8. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    My #1 bass, a Road Worn P, has a late 70's cream-cover DiMarzio Model P. It just does not get any better! I want them in all my basses. In fact, I'm working on that... :)

9. I threw one in my old squier P and could not be happier. its one of my 2 or 3 must bring basses to recording sessions. I will say that you sacrifice a little bit of air and evenness but it was the perfect compliment to my particular squier's thinned-out high-mid-heavy natural sound. a good thick cutting rock tone. personally i prefer it with rounds; might be a bit dark for flats.

10. I have an old Ibanez Roadstar that has a 70's Dimarzio in it. From what I read, those kinda became the Model P. If that is the case, they rock.

11. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Off topic from OP, but by "new" do you mean the hot ones?

I got their PJ set a while ago and am extremely happy with it