Modeling processor comparison: Fractal AX8 and Line 6 Helix

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SeanOnBass, Dec 19, 2018.

1. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Bartolini, Genzler Amplification, GHS, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, you convinced me to buy a Helix, Sean! :D :thumbsup: :hyper: :bassist:

Spfairchild likes this.
  3. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Bartolini, Genzler Amplification, GHS, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance
    Alriiiight! I use mine every day.

tombowlus likes this.
  4. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I just brought the Helix Lt,
    was waiting on the new Fractal FM3 list,
    but I think Line 6 is offering better support for Bass players.

hbabels, tombowlus and Spfairchild like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Thanks for taking the time to do an impressively in depth review. Not too often I get to read a gear article that has that much useful information presented so clearly and in such a refreshingly well organized fashion.

tombowlus and Spfairchild like this.
  6. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    I very much appreciate that, thanks!

tombowlus likes this.
  7. I've been pretty good on GAS for a while, but I haven't had a floor effects unit with internal parallel options.

I do not have the cash for these things that I need. :/

That's a good write up; I do appreciate the nuance.

Spfairchild likes this.
  8. Nowadays, Line 6 helix family, hands down for bass...
    And Yamaha Group (Line 6 and Ampeg), are workinmg together soo....

9. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah having spent more and time with both the Fractal and Line 6 Helix unit’s. They’re both great , different strengths & weaknesses.

If bass is my priority I agree that Line 6 Helix is where it’s at. Not only with available models from the jump but with they’re comparable models. The Line 6 B7k for example much more resembles the hardware unit that Fractals. In both sound and functionality.
    Also the Line 6 just seems to handle the low end tones better that sound more natural to me. Especially edge of breakup / gritty sounds for bass.

With 6 string guitar I think there are some tones & feel the Fractal nails better but it’s closer. They’re closer 6 string guitar wise to each other where with bass in my experience the line 6 Helix just pulls strongly ahead.

And then when it comes to user interface again Line 6 Helix just has that some really really well !

gumtown, tombowlus and Spfairchild like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021