1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moderate OD that doesn't lose low bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by morgan138, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    I know OD pedal threads are a dime a dozen, but I've got a pretty specific question: I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that'll do "warm and saturated" but without breaking up on low notes or fuzzing out on high ones. And I don't want it to cut too much of the low frequency content. Some extra midrange is totally fine, but I've played with OD pedals that almost sound high-passed if that makes sense (looking at you, Guv'nor/Drivemaster).

Right now I'm in between a Joyo Ultimate Drive (holds onto the low end, but the overdrive/distortion sounds like it's sitting on top of the clean signal) and a Fuzzrocious Demon (good overdrive, but it kills my Rickenbacker's deep bass). I guess I do like that OCD-type of overdrive though...

SongySan likes this.
  2. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Southampton Fifth Gear? Gets a lot of love around here lately.

dinoadventures, Marial, Duder and 5 others like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Creation Audio Grizzly nails it on the head, as does the Source Audio Aftershock.

franvarin, kbakerde, gfen and 5 others like this.
  4. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    The Grizzly sounds interesting, but also falls in the heartbreaking category of "expensive and/or hard to find pedals." The Dunwich ODB is at the top of that list, as well.

Fifth gear sounds promising! Is it low bass-friendly?

If it helps to narrow things down, I don't usually like "gritty"-sounding overdrives (i.e. the tubescreamer family pedals I've tried, and also the proverbial "Rat with the gain zeroed" that people sometimes suggest). To my ears the UD and Demon sound more..."gravelly" than gritty, if that makes sense?

velalv and monsterthompson like this.
  5. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Fairfield barbershop

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but this once again seems like a job for the Damnation Audio MBD-1!

7. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Gonna be using this to make broken-sounding records, so...break away!

Roberto Nunez and Bob_Ross like this.
  8. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    Grizzly!

9. Joyo California Sound is awesome on a Ric. Great range of drive and tones. Loaned mine to a buddy that plays a Ric and could not get it back, once I heard the result he was getting I let him keep it and just bought myself another.

jcerio and morgan138 like this.
  10. Is a Pork Loin worth a try?

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well I kinda see what you're saying. A new Grizzly is $225 and readily available direct or from eBay or Reverb. You won't find them heavily discounted so you won't find them at Prymaxe for half price like some other pedals.
    But even at the full $225 price that's much less than a lot of top notch overdrive pedals and about the same as other pedals that have less functionality. Go price a good overdrive from JHS, Empress, Bearfoot, Pike, etc. Heck, even a Barbershop is $175.

Also consider that the Grizzly is four pedals in one (actually more, but we'll concentrate on the dirt aspects only right now). It has separate overdrive and distortion engines, it has a Funkulator built in, and it has a Low Pass filter pedal built in. You'll pay $130 just for a Low Pass filter from Broughton. Plus if you're like me, you'll waste more money on inferior pedals trying to find something that sounds like the Grizzly. However I did enjoy trying out those hundreds of pedals first :)

But I do understand, if you buy a pedal for $225 and it doesn't work out you'll never get your money back. So, at least keep your eye out for a used one down the road so you can replace whatever pedal you end up buying right now.

12. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    SolidGoldFX Beta. Have to dial back the bass via the tone knob. Zero low-end loss. Boosts it, if anything.

Systolic, blindrabbit and morgan138 like this.
  13. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    Smallsound/Bigsound Mini.

14. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Haha yeah, I hear you. I could see happily paying $225 list if I knew the pedal would be awesome! But I guess I'm instinctively wary about going that high when I'm doing the buy/try/(flip?) thing.

Barbershop looks interesting but I'm also wondering if it'll be too far into "overdriven power amp" territory (i.e. pushed midrange, ragged bass). This'll be running into a D-180 so I can get plenty of tube push (I guess I should have mentioned that this ideal OD will have plenty of boosting headroom)...

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions everyone! Lots of research for when work gets slow.

Nunovsky likes this.
  15. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I use the Ss/Bs exactly like you describe it. With the bias as 1 or 2 o'clock, and set the gain at about 11. Then, if I play softer it sounds relatively clean but if I attack harder, it starts breaking up to beef up the bass. I love this pedal.

EDIT: I'm using a Tone Hammer pre and when I engage the ags with the gain at lower settings it also does what you look for.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    taylor16 and blindrabbit like this.
  16. Southampton Fifth Gear is brilliant, as long as you aren't wanting much gain. No low end loss, and it makes your mids as rich as a dessert at a Michelin Star restaurant.

That said, I think the ss/bs Mini might be the choice for you. So much range, so many fantastic sounds.

Barbershop isn't a bad choice either.

17. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The fifth gear does rule. Great low end. Really tightens it up and keeps your high end nice n shiny. Major mojo.

I use the pork loin. Mines modded but the new newer ones are supposedly supposed to have the mod done to them as it was so good that they decided to make it a normal thing on them. That pedal completely killed my OD GAS in one swoop. Low end is awesome on it.

Frank77, mikeyjm2 and punisher911 like this.
  19. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Nobels ODR-B

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Great, now you've talked me into getting a Grizzly also!

Jaycephas and mmbongo like this.