Modern Electric Bass by Jaco Pastorius

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by johnvice, Sep 13, 2004.

1. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I just got the DVD Modern Electric Bass by Jaco Pastorius. Before the interview/lesson starts, he is adjusting something on the headstock. Does anyone know what he is doing ?

While I was impressed at the DVD and quality of instruction, it is sad that it was recorded during JP's downward spiral. That said, his sence of humour and musicality is very much intact!
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It's been a while since I've seen it but IIRC he's adjusting his truss rod. I don't remember the details of where his truss rod adjustment was but I'm sure someone will correct me if it was at the body joint.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - he's filing down the nut slots with a needle file - to get them lower - then he's checking intonation at the the 1st to 3rd frets. If your nut slots are cut too high, then it can mean that notes around the 1st to 3rd frets are sharp, as you have to press down too far.

Presumably, this was the problem Jaco had with the "cobbled together" bass that he used on the video - different body and neck, put together from a P and J bass!!

It also allows you to get a lower action overall, if you lower the height of the nut slots. Of course, if you lower them too far, then you will get a nasty buzzing, as the strings touch the fretboard "behind" where you are fretting the note - i.e. between fretting hand and nut!
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Bruce, you must be right. After Jaco finishes this operation. He blows on the nut with a quick puff (to get rid of the filings) before he tunes upthe E string . He also has a small screwdriver in his left hand presumably to adjust the intontaion screw on the bridge.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - basically he's intonating the bass and lowering the action - even so he does struggle with some of his own lines - no surprise, given what he'd been through (just released from mental hospital) and how he doesn't have one of his favoured 60's Jazz basses. :meh:
  6. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
  7. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Woah! I have just borrowed this DVD from the local library and after seeing it through I'll say it got me very inspired to play...