Modern Tone and Versatility

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I posted this a few days ago but didn't get many opinions. I'm curious what everyone thinks would be a good second bass to my Fender 70's Jazz that would give me a modern tone vs the "classic" tone of the jazz as well as tonal flexability. I've thought about either the Spector Legend 4 or maybe a Tribute 2000. The recent BP review of the Spector looked good but I'm not really sure what other basses have that contemporary sound, particularly in that under 1K price range.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    used Stingray or Sterling, Lakland, Carvin, or Ibanez Soundgear. couple different "modern" sounds.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Jeff, generally speaking, most anything with an active preamp will give you a "modern" tone. I see that you are from So Cal as I am. There are plenty of music stores, some a lot better than others, to check stuff out in and decide what you like. A good place to start if you are in the LA area would be the Bass Exchange at 13701 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks. It isn't far from the Galleria. (Web site: have a relatively small but nice selection of a few high end basses to start with. There are plenty of other places but this is a very nice store. Hope that helps a bit.
  4. Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should have realized that an active preamp would provide the more modern tone and give an indication of what the bass is capable of. I'm familiar with where Bassexchange is located as I lived in Sherman Oaks for half my life. I'll give them a try. I've been to GC just up the street also and this will give me a good starting point. Thanks.The 2 basses I mentioned, would you consider a modern tone as I think their both active?
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO, Modulus basses (particularly the Quantum) are especially modern due to their graphite composite necks. Killer B strings on their fivers, too!
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Sorry, I ignored the 2nd part of your post. Spector- I would say, yes, they have a very modern tone. I have never been fond of them b/c they are stocked with EMG's. I have never heard an EMG or combonation thereof I have liked. The G&L Tribute- I haven't played a Tribute. I have only played standard G&L's which I always thought were very nice. They have a sort of hot rodded vintage tone, IMO, which is more to my liking that can keep up with anything. I know the Bass Exchange carries G&L's but not sure if they carry the Tribute line.