Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modest Mouse

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anyone else addicted to this weird.. Indie Rock band?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This plane is totally crashing!?!?Rq3wgersbhesgset3iq4taw!@

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I admit, I didn't like them much at all.

But then I heard "Float On". Now I think the rest of their catalogue is alright. "Float On" is BRILLIANT!!

4. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Very good band with a very good Blues'ish/indie style

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i have all the stuff too. Good stuff.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Their new album kicks ass. My friends always where crazy about Modest Mouse but I could never really get into them. I bought the album and I will probobly go back and get older stuff. Its funny that I like them now and not a few years ago. Definately a good bad, alway interesting to listen to for sure.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Used to be friends with a cousin of a guy in the band, so I heard (and heard about them) pretty constantly the first two years I was in high school.

Still don't care for them.

8. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Sunny Day Real Estate. That's all I have to say. If you don't know who they are, then you shouldn't be listening to Modest Mouse. Go, now, buy their CD's.

9. Diary is an awesome album.

Modest Mouse's "The Moon And Antartica" is great too, though not quite SDRE

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

I know SDRE.... eh.....

11. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Bands like Modest Mouse and many others got their inspiration from such bands as Sunny Day Real Estate, Fugazi, The Get-Up Kids, etc.

And yes, Diary IS an awesome album. It's probably my favorite from them but their live show is incredible. You can see the emotion dripping down his face. It was a great site.

Check out http://www.theappleseedcast.com

One of my all-time favorite emo bands.

[Back to your regularly scheduled Modest Mouse program]

12. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    Um, sorry Orion, but SDRE is nothing like Modest Mouse. They're both indie rock bands, yes....

13. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I agree. There are both definately NW bands, but big difference to my ears. In fact I don't think I would lump Modest Mouse together with anyone, I would just say.... "indie band".

14. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Modest Mouse preceded Get-Up Kids.

But it's true, a lot of emo/indie groups get off on SDRE's vibe. Which is probably why I don't like most of them.

15. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I'll refer you to my previous post, where I said that they were influenced by bands such as SDRE.

And Modest Mouse has been out, what, 10 years now? That's pretty impressive for the genre. When I mentioned The Get Up Kids, I mentioned them on a genre-basis and not on Modest Mouse's impression of them. The Get Up Kids were still in school then...but TGUK have made some big influences on modern acts and modern perceptions of emo and emo-esque bands. I should not have lumped them in with the greats though. My mistake. I've never been a fan.

There.

16. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    I don't know, I guess I just don't think of Modest Mouse as an emo band. They really aren't at all, actually. I'm not their biggest fan or anything, I just don't think they were influenced by SDRE or any emo bands really. To me they sound more influenced by the Pixies or Flaming Lips. And lately they've been expanding their sound. I know you're not a fan, but you should check out their new album.

17. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Well...my source for Sunny Day Real Estate marked them as influencing Modest Mouse but...upon further investigation they were wrong.

MTV may suck, but they have great band bios. Pixies are one of their influences. Check them out on there.

18. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Or better yet! On tour! Though, with the way things are...you're best bet may be to try and predict through astrology what dates they're going to add next and then camp out in front of the box office.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I definitely wouldnt consider them an emo band, mainly for the reason that theyve gone through puberty.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A few years back I was hearing how MM was all the rage, so I went and bought "Building Something out of Nothing" without ever hearing them.

To be fair, I listened to that album several times. I just don't care for it. Perhaps it's "that one album" that only the hardcore fans enjoy- every band has one of those. For SDRE (one of my favorite bands of all time), it was the Pink Album.

In any case, I've heard good things about the new MM album. I'm a little gun shy now, though, so I'll have to give it a listen before I plunk down my hard earned cash.