Mods for a Dean Edge 5 string-need opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GOV, Oct 11, 2011.

1. GOV

GOV

Jun 1, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    What up guys. I have a Dean Edge 5 string that I have been thinking about modding. It has an active setup, soap bar style pickups, so I was thinking about putting in a set of Bartolini's. Any thoughts on this? I would like the bass to be versatile, but right now I been playing mostly progressive rock and metal so a powerful sound is key.

Also, does anybody know if Guitar Center does installs? If they do, how is there track record for service? I am not skilled enough to do this work myself.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That depends on what type of sound you want. if you want a dark sound, bartolini pick-ups would be good choice for that. if you want a different sound, emg pick-ups(besides the 40hz pick-ups) would be a good choice for that. personally, I like emg pick-ups. emg pick-up would be a go to pick-up if I own a bass that has crappy pick-ups.

3. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I put a pair of 40DCs and a BQC preamp in a Dean Edge 5. It was a whole new animal after that. Wish I still had it. :crying:

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I currently own a dean edge 5-string bass and I was thinking about doing some modifications on that bass. as a start, I would replace the stock pick-ups with a set of emg pick-ups. like I've mentioned before, emg pick-ups would be my go to pick-up. I've always liked how they sound. especlially the hz pick-ups. not everyone like these pick-ups, but I dig them.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Guitar Center does do installs, and they do a rotten job of it, and they will overcharge you like crazy. :)

Instead, ask around at local music shops to find out who does the best setups and electronics work in your town. Guaranteed he or she does not work at GC.

Personally I prefer DiMarzio pups for powerful/aggressive tone, but I'd also say that using fresh roundwound strings, and EQ'ing in some mids, will get you much more of that sound than just swapping in any brand or model of pickups.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I didn't know that dimarzio made bass pick-ups. I'm familiar with their guitar pick-ups, but I never knew they made bass pick-ups.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You know I was wondering if putting on new pick-ups would make a difference on a dean bass. cause I've been thinking about doing that with my dean edge bass.

What happen to you dean edge bass? did you sell it for some reason?

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I was wondering, gov...did you do some modifications on your dean bass yet?

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They came out with the Model One in 1976. The Model P followed in 1977. It was quite popular at the time. The Model J came out in 1979.

These were some of the first aftermarket bass pickups, along with Hi-A (Bartolini) in about 1975.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Change the preamp ... the weakest link on cheap active basses is the crappy 2 band preamp. Try an Audere 4 band.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Really...they were first made in 1976. interesting. and bartolini pick-ups first existed in 1975. I first heard of bartolini pick-ups from Ibanez basses because that's what the Ibanez sr505 was equipped with. speaking of Ibanez, I'm planning on buying an Ibanez bass real soon.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021