1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulation dilema

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    So I don't like modulation. Chorus, phasers, flangers. Just can't get into them. Part of the reason why is that I normally play with a lot of dirt/fuzz and the ones I've used always just over-took everything.

However I'm doing some improvised drone ambient esq jamming lately, and while my octaves, filters, fuzz, and multitudes of delay and reverb are doing some amazing things I'm looking for some more things to add to my sonic pallet.

I currently have a Zoom B3 and it covers my modulation needs, but I just can't mesh with the interface. I had a M9 before it and I really liked how I could switch and scroll on the fly for all sorts of crazy sounds. However, I wasn't that thrilled with the tones I got from the M9.

Now I'm contemplating whether I should....

1. Just deal with the interface on the B3
    2. Sell the B3 and pick up a bunch of cheap used modulation pedals
    3. Sell the B3 and pick up another M9 and hope I like the tones better
    4. Sell the B3 and pick up some crazy single modulations like a Polytope and Whetstone.

Obviously they get more expensive each option, and I don't really know where I'm going with all this. Mostly wanted to put my thoughts out there and see if anyone had a suggestion to help me out.

Thanks, also sorry this was all so long.

2. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I get the impression that you're just being lazy about learning to use the B3, configuring your own patches, and setting up the unit to switch quickly between your patches. Read the manual.

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not really, with the M9 I could switch between 6 effects (3 at a time) and with a couple quick taps I could bring up 5 additional "scenes" of effect with another 6 effects. Also the effects were grouped into categories (filters, mod, delay, reverb, dirt) so I could also easily pull up what I was looking for.

With the B3 I could in theory set up something like 100 patches each with 3 effects. But if I want to switch between my 1st and 30th preset I still need to scroll through 28 more to get to it. Same with the effects in each preset, if I'm looking for a octaver I have to scroll through everything if I want to switch to a chorus.

If I were setting the unit up for "songs" then it'd be wonderful because I could have everything on tap set up where it needs to be. But rather I'm doing everything on the fly. And frankly it's a better option when I can switch things up super quick while improvising and not have to worry about remember which each patch is.

Hence why me and the zoom aren't meshing. I love the tones, plus it has useful things like a drum machine, DI, and USB for practice. Where in lies my dilemma with the unit.

4. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ah. OK. You are the only one that can answer your question. Does better tone matter more than switching on the fly?

I think of things in terms of songs, and even if you're improvising live on stage, I would consider the tone to be far more important. That's just me.

Are you improvising on stage or at home?

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Currently it's more of a jam with friends. We'll probably do it out live at some point.

But for the time being its really just an excuse to make cool sounds and play with gear.

6. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's a tough call, but if you already know you don't like the sounds on the M9, it seems like a step backwards. Maybe try a different unit like the Boss GT or ME.

The other issue is that used B3s are going for like $120 so you'd be out $80 if you sell it and paid normal retail for it.

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Why don't you try to rearrange the patches, try ashbass patch select mode, just google it and you will find information on how to do that.

8. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Its not that I didn't like the sounds of the M9 so much as I just got better sounds out of similar effects with the B3.

In fact there are a few effects from the M9 that totally were better than the B3.

They both have their pro's and con's for instance the looper on the M9 was way better.

Not even really sure what I'm asking anymore haha.

9. Yeah I had a similar dilemma with the B3. I was going to do the mods to it but then I got a VB-99 and the FC300 and am setting a patch up with 16 effects at my feet among all the other badass stuff it does. But that is way more expensive.
    The B3 is cool. But it does have quirks.

10. had a similar situation

was happy with the quality from my ME-50B, but all the modulation effects are on 1 channel and can only be activated 1 at a time.

So what I did was going with option 2 of yours

11. I personally would go with option #4. The Polytope is ridiculous, amazing. Again with something that versatile I wish it had a couple presets, but knob twisting with it is also a blast. Get a Goatkeeper (or some other suitable tremolo) and a Whetstone and I think you'll be pretty stoked when all is said and done.

12. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Holme you have pretty much the same idea that I had. Polytope, whetstone, and a goatkeeper.

I used to have a goatkeeper awhile back and I really liked it, I just didn't use it enough to keep it. Of course it's 2 years later and I finally have something where I could use it again.

The appeal of a multi is that I only have to buy one thing and get tons of sounds that I don't use a ton, but occasionally like to use. However the single pedals are much more tweak able and sound better. Albeit much more expensive.

13. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    Expensive, yes, but I'd be surprised if you didn't find a use for the Polytope in other ventures. Seriously, it's GOOD.