1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Q4 best pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duckman999, Apr 16, 2010.

1. duckman999

duckman999 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Nashville,TN
    This may have been covered before and I do apologize but can't find enough data to make a decision...
    Anyways, among my favorite axes is a Modulus Q4 with the EMG pups. They don't have enough bark/growl for my taste and just seem to, well, blah with a tendency to be too thin sounding. I know that the Barts were an upgrade and now there is a Basslines model used in the Fodera's which fit. What do you guys think???? Sound clips appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a Quantum 4 with EMGs and the absolute last word I would use to describe it is thin sounding. My bass can actually be too powerful and I have to be very careful not overwhelm the whole band. I think the preamp has a lot do with it. My bass sports an Aguilar OBP-3, which I think helps a lot. Although I am happy with the EMGs, I would love to try out the Fodera Basslines in my bass.

Michael

3. a modulus bass with emg's sounds amazing. you would think that emg's and a graphite neck would be too bright sounding, but it's actually a very warm combination. who woulda thunk it?

i agree with phishaholik that "thin" is the last word i would use to describe the sound. maybe your batteries are dying...

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Q-4 has EMG's and I like it's tone. I don't feel it's thin, but IMO it's very hi-fi, defined IMO. I have thought quite a bit about swapping over to Barts, though. I heard a local guy play his Q-6 with Barts and it sounded fatter and warmer to my ears.

5. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    I have a Quantum 6 with Bartolinis on it. It is a incredible instrument. I do have a bass with EMG's that sound OK, but i prefer the Bartolinis by far. I have a fretless with EMG's that sounds good live, but I have never been able to get a good tone in the studio. Plus it's a bit noisy compared to the barts.

6. duckman999

Mar 28, 2009
    Nashville,TN
    It is quite possible that the pre-amp is to blame. I have a Fender P bass with an EMG P/J combo and those pups sound great.
    I haven't had the bass apart yet to check what pre-amp it has.
    I probably mislead some of you with my "thin" description. What I mean, is it doesn't have much grittiness,or enough mid-range growl from the bridge pup I suspect. Some of this could be due to the nature of the graphite neck. It has loads of bass and is very bright. Just kind of "too clean?" Hard for me to describe I guess. I also have 2 basses with the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and that could be a first level solution as I really like that pre amp and the range of tones it provides. Sounds incredible in my Geddy Jazz with the Dimarzio Ultra Jaxx pups.

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Your favorite axe is "blah" and "too thin sounding" ?!?! I'd hate to hear what your least favorite axe sounds like!

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    If you want more aggressive, get the Aguilar pre. Those EMGs are just fine (coming from a 10x Modulus owner).

When I had my custom Q5 made I had the Aggy put in, but reverted back to the Bartolini 3 band b/c it was too aggressive.

9. lofreek

lofreek

Jul 19, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I have three Modulii (two Q 6's and a G5) and I have replaced all the EMG, Lane Poor, and Barts they had with Lace Alumitones. I also removed all of the Bart, EMG, and Aguilar active stuff as well. To my ears, no contest. Alumitones running passive rule.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Same goes for me. I've never liked EMGs. My Quantum 6 has Barts and the tone simply kills! I had a chance to pickup up a Q6 used that had EMGs but after trying it at the store I passed on it.

But this is just me. You'll find that there are people here who hate the tone of Barts. It's a personal taste thing. Just because I like something doesn't mean you will.

11. duckman999

Mar 28, 2009
    Nashville,TN
    Favorite playing, not sounding. Anyway, hopefully I cleared up the confusion on the "thin,dull" comment. I want more growl,bite,grit...whatever you want to call it from the bridge position pup. Lot's of good info here but alas, we all have our own taste.

12. duckman999

Mar 28, 2009
    Nashville,TN
    How can I tell what pre-amp is in the bass? I would assume it has the EMG since that is the pups that came with it. But since I bought it used and have never opened it,perhaps there has been something changed already.

13. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I got a chance recently to play a modulus q6 with emgs.... Loads of headroom and very versatile... Like some said, very modern tone... Agressive is the best word for it. Not even close to thin, maybe the OP had issues EQing the amp and bass... I do prefer barts over EMGs though, I currently own a graphite necked 5er with barts and they have a warm growl that I like a lot...