Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum 4/5 thoughts, ideas, etc..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djphil, Mar 4, 2004.

1. I've been wanting to try one of these out for a while now, and since all MARS stores have closed, nobody close to me has any available to check out... so, just looking for mini-reviews, thoughts, etc.. on these basses.

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've been a lifelong Fender Jazz/Precision guy but a year or so ago I got a Mod Q5. Now, the Q5 is a no-trade, no-sell bass (and I don't even have a Fender Bass anymore). I was not crazy about the EMG/Phenolic fretboard Q5 but when I found the Barts/Chechen board version it just "grabbed me". I resisted the "modern/active" bass tone for years but the Q5 completely redefined things like "punch" and "clarity". And it did it on a neck with to-die-for playability. The tone is very,very versatile partly because the Bart 3 band EQ is so powerful. I searched for a long time to choose this bass. There are no shortage of great "high-end" basses out there but the Quantums should be on anyone's audition list.

3. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I am also a Fender convert...though I switched over to a Q6. I also am a one bass guy now pretty much. This bass does everything I need it to do. I love the sound. I wouldn't buy one until you can try one though no matter how many people rave about it on here, because some people simply don't like the sound...and as much as you hear them on recordings you can't really tell until you try one.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I second the statement about not buying one until you try it. Some people just don't like the feel of the graphite neck. I love mine now, but I will admit, it took me a bit to get used to, as I was used to the natural wood necks of my Cirrus 5 and Warwick Corvette FNA. The graphite feels "stickier" than wood. Modulus does, however, make a satin finish neck, but I have never tried one. I assume this would cure the sticky feel that the gloss finish necks have.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I know it has been mentioned here before, is that if you have poor fretting hand technique, it will really show through with these basses. That was the other thing that I really had to clean up when I got my Q5. It seemed to like to pick up fret noise and such more than my wood necked basses. Not that this was a problem that wasn't able to (and needed to ;) )be cured with a little more practice.

Other than that, I can say nothing but good about them. They balance great, both sitting and standing. Mine is the Bart equipped model, and the tones that I can get out of it are very versatile. And did I mention that the Low B string on the Q5's is one of the best out there??

5. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Modulus basses are great. Just like any bass, I would try to play it first before I bought it, because every manufacturers product will vary from model to model. I haven't played Flea basses but the Quantums are terrific. It's easy to become addicted to the neck once you realize you never have to make any adjustments, and it almost never goes out of tune.
    Quantums are classy and sound and play wonderfully. If you like cutting through the mix in a band, you will love a Modulus.
    There are usually plenty of used ones for sale, and I have found that they hold up quite well over time. Just be sure the neck hasn't warped through some neglect of the owner.

6. Awesome. Yeah there's a few I'm kind of looking at right now, but I still need a while to test one out before going forward.

Can anyone tell me about the price ranges for these things? I've seen them going for around $1000-$1800, and that just seems like a big price jump for very similar instruments.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a Quantum 5. String spacing at the bridge is on the narrow side (17mm), but it's such a cool bass that I deal with it. I like the radius and profile of the neck a lot. It's a fairly different animal than a Fender (more hi-fi), but that doesn't matter to me: I don't hesitate to use my Q5 with my country/blues band.

Ryan made an excellent point about the transparency of the bass. It's definitely hi-fi. But again, that's OK with me. I love the fact that the graphite neck is pretty much impervious to changes in temperature and humidity.

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Try both the Bart and the EMG equipped models, as they both have VERY different sounds. To me, the EMG's were a bit thin sounding, but I know that some people here dig the EMG pups in the Quantums.

9. If I do end up getting one (and after attempting again to mess with the Spector bridge, I'm getting closer and closer to getting there), I'll probably be with Barts, as I've been playing EMG's my whole life, and nothing else, so I'd want a bit of a change.

10. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Those sound like used prices. Depending on the age and condition they can be found in that range..though I suspect most often towards the upper end of it.

A new Modulus can be had usually for between 2300-2600. One thing to be aware of though, is that Modulus just upped the retail price on all their basses by about 600 dollars, so for retail that figure might now be 2600-3000. That will end up increasing the price on what you see them for used in the future as well.

11. does anyone know if modulus make lefty Q6's because i'm dying for one but we lefties seem to be rather unlucky :s

12. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I also went from 2 Fender RB 5's to a Modulus Q5. The tone is more high-fi but it sounds great. The action is to die for and I love the graphite neck. It cuts thru great on a gig. I highly recommend them. Check out Lenny at string-it.com for the best prices on Modulus basses.

13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I got my Q5 through Lenny also. Great guy to deal with, I highly recommend checking his site out. He made buying a new bass a very easy experience, was prompt about calling me, and even called after I had received it to see how I liked it.

14. Pocket Beast

Pocket Beast

Mar 15, 2016
    I bought a q4 SS online and quickly fell in love with it. I knew it was a beast of a bass just playing it unplugged. I was never big on EMG pick ups but this one sounds great. Very punchy through my Mesa rig. I love the q4 so much I traded my funk unlimited 4 for a Nash Jazz. I figured I only needed 1 bass with graphite neck and the quantum was the better of the 2 basses. I ended up with a particularly awesome one with a purple heart top for $999.00. I found it on guitar centers used page. No hard case but still an AMAZING DEAL! Modulus quantum 4 highly recommended.

15. 12 years though..

asands likes this.