Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moe.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Does anyone here like/know of a jam band called Moe? I just heard a few of their songs for the first time yesterday and I'm hooked. Some of it is a little too country for me, but a lot of it is just plain kickass music. Their bassist (whoever he is) is awesome too. If you have the chance, check out a song called "Rebubula". It's over 11 minutes and they make the most of every second, plus some awesome bass playing.

2. i've heard a little. i remember likinjg it some.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like them a lot! I like their 'Warts & All' series of bootlegs they put out themselves. Rob Derhak smokes on bass!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great band! My old guitarist use to open for them in a more recent band he was in... at least 8 to 10 years ago. He use to send me bootleg cassettes of them

5. rob derhak is a pretty cool bassist...i like him a lot! i have a few of their warts n all cds

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've been listening to them for a long time, you can hear Rob Derhak grow as a bassist. He used to slap a lot in his Musicman days, but now seems to play basslines that fit the songs more i.e...less slapping ;) Some people don't like that...but I do :cool:

7. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I have seen moe 5 times this year and rob just blows me away every time. Moe. is an awesome band. Check out timmy tucker off of warts and all... 7 minute (i think) bass solo... sweet

8. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I just watched MOE live with Govt. Mule, last Friday night...

Now....I have to preface this by mentioning that I have been listening to Moe since 98' and saw em live in NY at Hammerstein ballroom in 99....

Derhak is an incredible musician!!.....We saw em at the Showbox in Seattle, this is a place where we could grab our drinks in the "big kids" section and lean against a rail while watching the band about 18 feet away...

Best way I can think to describe Derhak on bass is....Completely un-selfconcious

He looked like he was kickin back observing the groove as it went along, yet at the same time playing seriously intricate and involved bass lines at the same time.....in fact as the songs went along, he would just step forward a step and start singing, like it was somebody else doing it.....I can't express how much his performing, at least to me, seemed to embody the definition of "effortlessness" ....

I brought an old friend of mine whom I have alot of musical experience with, to the show(he also a bass player)....he had never heard of MOE....

Basically he crapped his pants watching Rob work his magic

These guys just started their tour.....Check the House of Bluse website for dates.....I can't say enough about the quality of this one-two lineup with Govt mule(They blew my mind!!!!)

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mmmmm...Moe & Gov't Mule.....I'm envious :cool:

10. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I'll be seeing those two bands as well this Saturday

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Are they swapping headline status on this tour? I like Moe a lot, but I would hate to follow Gov't Mule.

12. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    YEs, they switch off everynight.

I think moes going on first Saturday. For some reason I think the Mule should go on first. It seems like it would be hard to follow a band like Moe.

13. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    here is a picture of rob rockin out with trey see rob sportting the sweet ritter

Attached Files:

14. ^Nice pic. Is Trey in Moe or was that pic from something else? And what kind of bass is that? Looks a bit like a Carl Thompson, but different.

15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i mixed a show for moe a few years ago at a club i was working at.
    bassist was using a very old pedulla at the time. like 3 people there,
    and they wouldn't stop playing... like 2hours+ of the most god awful crap i've ever heard. total masturbation, very little in the way of music, written or improvised. i'm sure they've gotten lots better by now, i'll have to check them out again....well, maybe not. :smug:
    definitely not in the same league as gov't mule imho.
    cheers
    d

16. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    trey is not in moe he just sat in with them at the roseland ballroom for a tsunami relief show and the dude form moe is playing ritter bass

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm a sucker for a funky old Timmy Tucker :bassist:

18. o my lord yup the day tin cans and car tires came out i was hooked, from some one that loves phish seen 35 shows i started listening to moe. early and liked them, more younger and more talent.

go see um at jam cruze
    but yes rob durhak is a very impresive bassist hes got a vox to, some times i think its rob behind the wheel controling the band, kinda like any les claypol band

19. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    MOe and Gov't Mule tonight baby!

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile