1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mojotone "Musicman Clone" Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wafl, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Wafl

Wafl Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2015
    I've searched but found almost nothing here. The price is nice-- $99. To a budget-minded hobbyist, it's tempting.

http://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/Mojotone-Bass-Pre-Amps/music-man-clone-2-band-bass-4-knob

Question: Have you heard this one, or would there be something in the lower half of the price range that you're more enthusiastic about?

Background: I don't own a Stingray. I have a Bart MM4CBC in an Ibanez Mikro 5-string, with a Bart soap bar BC4CBC-B at neck. I like this interaction passive and now I want to add a pre. My objective is a Stingray-like instrument with the option of blending in a little neck tone. Perhaps this is mongrelizing the aesthetic. You're free to say so.

There are other preamp options: Audere, Bart, Noll, Nordstrand. That's about as high as I want to spend. I have Audere in a Jazz. It's nice, but I'm open to others.

Thank you.

Edit: I use this bass for smooth-jazz material. It records well, and has the right amount of clank-lite, when needed

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Bump....curious about thoughts on this vs the East 4 knob. Looking to get the 2-band tone I love into my 4 knob 1999 Stingray 4H.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Duncan STC-2C-BO can get pretty much that MM sound for about $60. They also make a STC-3M3 MM pre amp for just over $100.

NigelD and pudgychef like this.