1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

molding plastics?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you look carefully in the image below you can see a black plastic spacer under the Dark Star pickup I installed on a project from last year. This is used to provide the DS a planar mounting surface so that it can sit snugly onto the contoured top surface of an Ibanez Artcore. The mounting plate was provided by Hammon Engineering.

ArtcoreDS-3Upgrade_J.gif

I need to make a similar type of transition/mounting plate for an Epi Jack Casady bass, but this one needs to be significantly wider because of the pickup route for the originally installed pickup. I can easily make a plaster mold to obtain the surface contour for the area and then make a reverse of this surface and add the side forms to create the mold I need to pour a liquid plastic into.

I haven't formed plastics in this way before, so I'm looking for some advice on where to find the right supplies for this kind of plastic product. I'd also like to learn of any tips from anyone who has molded plastics before ... ideally I'd like to not spend three months perfecting my plastics molding skills, as I'm sure the owner of this fine bass would rather be playing it than reading of my new plastic molding skills.

all the best,

R

2. check out these guys:

http://www.freemansupply.com/

I bought a DVD they sell with detailed instructions for most of their molding and casting products. I haven't used them yet, but when I start making my plastic covers, I'll get supplies from them.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    thanks Wilser - good stuff!

all the best,

R

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021