1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Momentum on stage

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PauFerro, Nov 5, 2013.

1. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I agree. It's an easy, simple thing to do. Throw a bass line or some "tuneful" feedback on top of the drums and there is no more dead space.

2. We used to use really well-known intros for alternative songs we didn't even play, vamp on them and segue into next song.

Bass/drums:
    Summer Lovin' - Grease.
    Billy Jean - MJ.
    Better - Screaming Jets (local band that went International).
    Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd.
    Can't Touch This - MC Hammer (showing my age).

Guitarist used to play:
    Purple Haze, Foxy Lady
    Pride and Joy - SRV
    etc.....

These songs saved us when a guitarist broke a string, or any other technical issues. Kept the crowd dancing.

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Absolutely correct. It takes a lot of rehearsal to make a show look spontaneous.

People should watch the "This Is It" video, released shortly after Michael Jackson's death. Don't watch it for MJ - watch it to see what an enormous amount of preparation goes into a show of that scale, even before MJ shows up for the first run-through!

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I'll add this: If you ever find yourself on a multi-act bill that includes a comedian or magician, pay close attention to how they pace their show. Both types of performance are all about audience connection. Both involve intense practice & will fail very miserably if they don't make that connection because they're up there by themselves, with no band to fall back on.

Stand-up comedy is not all about the jokes. Magic is not all about the tricks. Both are about the delivery & presentation of the show. In the same vein, live music is not all about the songs.

There's a lot to be learned from magicians & comedians.

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Here's a technological suggestion to everything but the sax part: laptop running VST synths and effects. Save the settings for each song (including linking parameters to mod wheels, expression pedals and any other controllers), then there's only one file to load. It's ridiculously convenient.

Of course having blocks of songs, rehearsing transitions etc. are more important. But this is something you could do in addition to those things.

6. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    There's a lot to be learned from magicians & comedians.

I always wanted to saw a roadie in half..........

7. Time management on stage is very important. Especially for original bands trying to cram In as much music as possible within 45 minutes or less but also to keep the show entertaining for the crowd. What we do is practice our actual show. Every time our singer talks to the crowd, every time there's an instrument switch its all planned out. We know everything he's going to say and when he's going to say it i know when I can take my time making sure my bass is in tune because i know exactly when the guys are going to switch guitars and so on.

8. I just quit a band with a drummer who refused to vamp, both intros and outros. Refused. He gave some ridiculous excuse about it being "rude." It really made controlling dead space difficult. That's just one reason I'm glad to be walking away from that dysfunctional mess.

9. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    One of my bands actually rehearses song changeovers. So they'll play the last 8 of one song and then up to the first verse of the next. It seemed nuts to me at first, but I've found it really helps.
    Mike

10. ^ I've heard them called 'Tops and Tails'. It's usually the sloppiest part of any gig. Also, helps the singer know where to come in.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Decide on three or four songs that segue well, then rehearse them one right after the other as though they're one song. Then play them like that at the gig.