Mono/Stereo output jack confusion...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RookieBassist, Jan 3, 2006.

1. I am so dumb. :bawl:

I came to the conclusion that my Ibanez bass needed a new output jack, because when moving the cable around, a crackling noise was present. I read up on this issue and apparently Ibanez basses are prone to this problem.

Here is where I made a mistake. I ordered a new jack, but for whatever reason, thought that I only needed a mono jack.

I ordered this one from Parts Express.

After receiving it I looked at it, then my bass, and said "Damnit." Here is my old output jack, which seems to be stereo to me.

I have to order a stereo jack now, right?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ibanez uses crazy proprietary stuff, it's one of the things I LOATHE about them. I tried to replace a jack for a friend on an old Axstar once, and the jack was a bewildering mess and a normal stereo jack would not work.

Yes, you need a stereo jack because your bass has an active EQ.
  3. That is what I thought. I wish I could find these jacks locally, I hate paying shipping, but this jack seems high quality even if it isn't the right one. My cables snap in really tightly, much better than the old jack.

Thanks for replying, I'll order a stereo jack now.
  4. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    Doesn't seem dumb to me. In fact it's really confusing. You don't use a TRS/stereo cord, do you? Maybe someone can explain WHY an output jack would be wired that way, and whethe it matters to just use a regular ts jack like you ordered, and short the connections that would be shorted anyway by a regular plug.

But maybe I am just dumb, too :confused:

5. No, I don't use a stereo cord. I just figured that since the output of my bass is mono, that I only need a mono jack.
  6. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    ok, I thought about this, which is usually sure trouble, but I think that probably the jack functions as a mono jack, but the cord shorts two of the connections to turn the active elctronics on, to complete the circuit and draw from the battery.

If that's true, the mono jack will work, but you'll eat batteries.

Total speculation.... I hate when people do this
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You're not dumb. The third connector on the stereo jack operates an on/off circuit for the active circuit in the bass.
  8. I believe you are correct. I searched these forums before I posted and found the exact same explanation. My batteries will drain if I try to use this jack.

Oh well.
  9. Just wanted to say that I got my new Neutrik stereo jack in, just installed it, my bass works like a charm.

Oh, and a big "shout out" to Mouser Electronics, Inc. in Forth Worth, Tx. They had an excellent price and the same day shipping was very acceptable.