1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monster + Patch Cables... does one cancel out the other?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Dec 31, 2011.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Ok... so to start with, I understand that many people say that all cables sound the same. I am in no way trying to argue that a monster cable sounds any better than any other cable! PHEW... ok, with that said:

I am considering buying a Monster Bass Cable (for the warranty, if nothing else).
    If I have one monster bass cable going into my pedal board, then some much cheaper (compared to monster) patch cables, then a monster bass cable going from the pedals to my amp, will the patch cables in between nullify any of the benefits of having the monster bass cables? :bag:

:help:

2. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I have the same setup, albeit with Live Wire patch cables or direct 1/4" male-male plugs between pedals. I wouldn't use any of those cheapy cables that might come with a pedal board. Normally I would say your signal is only as good as the weakest link though. I'd like to hear someone weigh in from an EE point of view.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I happen to have an article about this: Effects of multiple cables in series?

Unrelatedly, Monster cables are a ####### joke. Do not buy their hype. There really can be a difference in quality between different cables, but Monster is NOT the high quality that they claim.

4. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    What Bongo said.

I buy cables mostly based on durability, flexibility, shielding and lack of microphonics.

5. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you go with Monster for the warranty. But any tone benefits will be lost. I'd say the same as the other poster tho, stay away from those generic multi coloured patch cables, and get something a little more solid.

-RTK

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Make sure you try the Monster bass cable out if you can. I have read in reviews that they darken the sound somewhat because they have relatively high capacitance. Their instrument cables are not like that.

Patch cables are short, so they don't do much harm unless they are very poor quality. If you are plugged into a pedal first that has buffered switching, i.e., not true bypass, that will help preserve your tone going through patch cables. If all your pedals are true bypass, and your bass is passive, you will likely hear some high end loss as a result. Because even when bypassed your signal is going through all that wire with no buffering.

An interesting thing about the molded plug multi color patch cables. Years ago, Craig Anderton measured a bunch of cables' capacitance, and found the cheaper molded plugs were lower, so they would theoretically sound better than cables with metal plugs. I've used both kinds. The molded ones lasted a good ten years, and then crapped out. Now I have metal ones.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's an informative website you have there. :D

8. I have several monster bass cables and I have stopped using them because they sound dark.

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I used to have a generic instrument Monster cable. That didn't sound dark. But you have confirmed what I have read in a few places about the bass version. Glad I hadn't bought that one!

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What benefits do you think you would be gaining from using the Monster in the first place?

Warranty?

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    none.

plenty of other cables (like the much more "normal" spectraflex, with its superior switchcraft ends, more durable covering, and non-hyped price) have the same kind of warranty, where you can just swap it out at the store for another one. the spectras also sound really good, decently low capacitance with little handling noise, even with high-gain guitar.

i once tried a monster bass cable on guitar by accident; it sounded so bad i thought the amp was broken!

12. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i actually like my monster bass cables, i got a 6ft and a 12ft and they rock. not only is the lifetime warrenty amazing, but i actually love the dark tone. a musicians gear is all about preference. if you like something, then use it, if not, dont get it. i say try the cable out and see if you like it

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I find it odd that someone would buy a cable because it has a good warranty because it is expected to break.

Why not just buy a better cable in the first place that won't fall apart?

I use Planet Waves cables which are better than Monster in every way. The silent plug is a great feature if you have active pickups. Oh....they the same warranty as Monster. I've never had one fall apart though.

14. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, fair enough... I won't get Monster. I wasn't really hell-bent on monster to begin with. The bottom line is basically I'm looking for 2 cables, approx 10' each, no more than $30 each.

Right now I only have 3 pedals... When I acquire a few more, I'll switch to higher grade patch cables I suppose.

FWIW, I play an active/passive bass but it's a G&L so even in passive mode, the output is very very hot. I play 99% of the time in passive mode. As it stands now, all of my pedals are true bypass (I thought I was doing a good thing by just getting true bypass stuff). Should I purposefully get a non-true-bypass pedal?

I was looking into the Hartke Bass Attack actually, but it would probably come at the end of my pedal chain. If I should get some sort of a buffered pedal, should it go at the beginning of the pedal chain?

I've used nothing but multi-effects boards up until a couple of weeks ago. I sold my Boss GT-6B and have been building up a pedal collection.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Bayou Audio Cables

This guy is finally back in production and does great work IME. (No lifetime exchange policy needed. ;))

16. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Ditto. Great cables at a very decent price (I believe Planet Waves is a sub-brand of DAddario). I use their Custom Series (their entry-level line) which goes for some US$30 for a 15ft cable (last time I paid 20 bucks in eBay). They come with a built-in cable-tie, to keep them neatly coiled.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    10' 1/4" Instrument Cable - Custom Series by Planet Waves

Register as a TB user (just tell him your TB user name) and you'll get VIP pricing = even cheaper. This is the best place to get strings as well.

18. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I know this sounds ridiculous, but I love the idea of red cables (it'll match my bass). I know, I know... very silly thing to care about.

Thanks for the quick input tho. I'll make sure to get one of those and not monster.

19. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
  20. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Red sounds better. :bag: