1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moog City - Soundclips Inside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    So After posting my board in the appropriate forum I got some requests for samples and such

First here is the board for reference.
    P1010007-2.

First we have the LPF

Moog-Low-Pass-Filer--CP-251

Starts with unaffected tone, then just the LPF on, then I plug in the CP-251 to the cutoff with the LFO and LAG processor controlling the function of the Cutoff. After that I switch the signal to be coming from the Sample and Hold 1 output (choppy), followed by the Sample and Hold 2 (smooth).

Next is the Freqbox

Moog-Freqbox--E13-Torns-Peaker

Now I've state before I use this pedal for one sound, and that is what I like it for. I also use it exclusively in conjunction with an Effector 13 Torn's Speaker. The clip starts unaffected, then just the Freqbox. Then I flip on the TP and start messing with the Expression pedal (controlling the Frequency control).

Finally the Analog Delay with additions from the Murf and CP-251

Moog-Analog-Delay--MuRF--CP251

Again starts with clean bass, then I add in the Delay. Then the MuRF in the Delay's Loop. I have the Delay's Time and Feedback hooked up to the CP-251's 4 way multiple so I can control both jacks with one expression pedal. So the sound at the end of the clip is that happening.

All clips were recorded with the internal mic on my Mac via Garageband. Amp was a Mesa 400+ with 2 Hughes & Kettner 4x10's.
    Bass was a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001. It was a hassle to set up mics and interface so don't mind the mic clipping in certain parts.

Enjoy.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Interesting clips. That Freq Box clip destroys Cliff's power wah sound. Got any of the Murf alone that highlight the animations and filters?

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Rad. The end of the first clip sounds almost backwards.

The entire second clip is beyond amazing and would make Cliff Burton headbang with reckless abandon. Very cool.

The third clip is the music that plays when MysticBoo's avatar chases those who use not the search function.

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Yeah the freqbox is pretty intense. I do not have any of the MuRF alone, I am currently working on designing a loop switch box that will allow me to take it out of the Delay loop and switch it into my regular signal chain. But for the time being it sounds really awesome in the loop of the Delay.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Great stuff as always Ron.

Not to derail the thread, but how do you tune your basses. If I remember correctly it was something fairly interesting.

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL

I usually do the Ric in Open F (F,A,C,G) but in the clips it is just standard. That is the main tuning I use in my newest project Castevet (www.myspace.com/romancastevet for a really low quality out of date sample)

My basses in Bongripper are tuned (Low) F Bb Eb Ab Db

I also experiment with (high) F Bb Eb Ab (using the top four of a 6 string set) on some of my other basses.

I figured to keep things normal since most people tend to play in regular tuning instead of the sub octave tuning I use in bongripper (our guitarist/sound engineer figured out my Low F is at 81HZ two ocatves lower and I would be subsonic) or the higher registered tunings I use in other bands.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Your highest string in Bongripper is the F? That is subsonic.

BTW, the frequencies for those strings would be 87.3 Hz (F), 58.3 Hz (Bb), 38.9 Hz (Eb) and 25.9 Hz (Ab) based on a 440 Hz A.

Oh, and I need to order your CD before I forget again.

8. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    No unfortunately the F is the lowest. At a .195 gauge string I think if that was my highest string I would need a tree and not a bass, also I fixed the other post to avoid further confusion.

9. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Ooh, that makes me really want the CP-251. Your crazy sounds have inspired me to further investigate the crazy sounds available through my Moogerfooger collection. Huzzah!

10. i so want a freq box or a variant of it

11. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Goddamn it do I want a Freqbox and a Bass Murf

Clip 2 is an apocalypse of awesomeness

12. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Any chance of hearing a clip of the Interstellar Bass Overdriver?

13. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Tuning a bass in standard puts the low E string at 41.2 Hz.

Your low F in Bongripper is tuned down 11 steps, which puts it at 41.2*2^(-11/12)=21.8 Hz. Human hearing is normally placed between 20Hz and 20kHz, but in it varies from person to person. Some poeple will be able to hear the fundamental of that low F, some people won't. Either way, the overtones will be audible and it will sound awesome.

Some dudes I know (Andrew and Dan) who used to be in this band called Biolich, formed a band called Castevet, and I saw them play a show last Summer. I don't know if they're still playing. That's not the same band that you're talking about, though, right? Or is it?

14. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    That board just made me loose at least 3 years off my life span...

15. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure of the science behind sound. My sound engineer just told me 81. As for Castevet not the same band at all. There is another one on myspace with no freinds or info so we figured the name would be safe.

16. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    There actually is a old clip I did with the DBA on my putfile page. follow one the links or just look up Ronripper on putfile.com

17. That's phenom.

The second clip nearly destroyed me. I've listened to it 5-6 times.
    and think maybe in a few years i'll start toying with a combo like that, because sonically, that provides some true awesomeness.

18. You really just put me over the edge. I am officially saving for a freq box, murf and delay.

19. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yayz for ric/doom!

Now I must decide between the Moog FreqBox and the Ring Mod. :smug:

20. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I got to say that I saw "the powerhouse sound" last weekend and the guitarist (also from Tortoise) did an incredible Moog Ring Mod solo in their first song. I almost bought that over the LPF, but decided on the LPF since it would give me a some different options.