1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moogerfooger expression pedal noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Buck Shotzen, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Buck Shotzen

Buck Shotzen

Nov 27, 2010
    Montreal, QC
    Hi all!

I've read the threads regarding the Moogerfooger MF-101 moog thang and have added aluminum tape to the inside of mine. The tape helped lower the amount of noise and interference from the pedal but adding the expression pedal adds more noise. The expression pedal is essentially a pot in a plastic case, that often gets dirty because of the opening between the rocker part and the base. I tried adding aluminum tape on the inside as much as possible and also grounded the aluminum to the ground wire on the cable. (Not sure if I am supposed to do that, but it still works right...) I can see the opening between the rocker and the base making shielding useless anyway! The tape made no difference in the noise. Any suggestions? The pedal was only $40 (less than the tax on the mooger!) and has the moogerfooger mark on it.

Oh yes, one other detail is that I usually use the pedal in the frequency cutoff jack.

Again, any suggestions to reduce the noise?

2. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    I'd get a new expression pedal, the moog EXP I had was not of high quality and offered me nothing but problems. I use an Ernie Ball VP for an expression pedal and its worked great, although its double the price.

3. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    id never had a problem with ep-2s until recent purchases..
    electrical contact cleaner will sort the problem but only (in my experience) temporarily, and repeated use affects the smoothness of the pedals action..
    ive had a replacement sent for one ep-2 and one is being "repaired" as we speak..
    its a shame that a company like moog who make such incredible effects units cut such a massive corner with their expresssion pedals (which are ESSENTAIL to get the most from your foogers)

4. Buck Shotzen

Buck Shotzen

Nov 27, 2010
    Montreal, QC
    I don't mind having to clean the Exp. Pedal once in a while. Pots on all my gear get dirty! But the signal noise is a drag...

Broadbent: Are you using a standard
    (simple: in, out, tuner jacks) ernie ball VP? Do you need an insert cable? Or do you use a stereo pedal with a patch?

Thanks!