1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More GC Stupidity!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I went to the GC on the Southside of St. Louis today just to see what was in. I found a six string Cirrus that looked pretty good, except it was missing a the string post of the machine head on the G string. The kicker was that GC wanted $899 for this bass! As you guys know, dang near mint six string Cirruses go for this all day long on the net.

What was even worse was that on closer inspection, I could clearly see that this bass had been dropped from the dents on the finish on the top edge of the bass. The pots were seriously scuffed as if the bass had taken a fall and maybe was dragged or skidded for a bit.

The bass sounded alright although the neck seriously needed adjustment and the action was so high it could not be slapped. I also noted that the machine head on the C string was not original and there were empty holes on the back of the peghead because the new tuner did not match up.

I talked to a salesperson (maybe a manager) and told him that the I liked the bass, but I felt that given it's condition, the price was too high. His response that "it's a used bass." I then told him that the internet is full of Cirruses in great shape for the same price as his and even less. He then said make an offer, I said $500. He ran through the computer, and said he couldn't do it. I asked if he do $650, he then did more numbers and said that the best he could do would be be $828 after taxes. I said I would get back to him, but inside I just laughed. He claimed the store had paid $650 for the bass! I know GC folks can be boneheads, but I can't believe that a store would pay that much for a bass with severe damage unless it were a Fender or Gibson (late "70s or early '80s.)

Do you guys think he was telling me the truth or trying to angle for a sale at a scandalous price? It really makes no difference, I would rather get a Cirrus from someone at TB, than spend any money for a bass that looks like it fell six feet from a stage and was dragged by a groupie.:rollno:

2. Im pretty sure he was trying to pull one over on you. Since when do people get that much for their beat up bass when they either sold or traded it to GC?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I ought to go back and ask him what he will give me for my 90% mint Peavey USA Millennium. If he doesn't say at least $400, I know he is full of it.:scowl:

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

are you sure that's why you went in to GC? :eyebrow: ;)

honestly, if it were me, and the bass was truly in bad shape like you say, i'd've talked to my store manager and seen if i could sell it to you for $500. i'd rather make most of my money back on a bad investment and not have to look at a beat up bass anymore than keep the beaterbass around. but maybe that's just a "bigger store" type of mentality....

who knows if he was telling the truth about the price? bottom line is, the bass wasn't for you at the price they were asking for it. why harp on it?

EDIT: also, it could be that the bass was bought by GC in pristine condition, but some sort of accident happened in the store.... and they're trying their best to (at least) make back the money they spent on it.

or, it was a bad buy. :D that happens to. everyone makes bad decisions....

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Why not? This is TalkBass, and I want to talk about that bass.:smug:

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    fair enough! :D

enjoy!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

That could have been the case, but if it is, they are going to have to eat some profit IMO. A person would have to be pretty dense to pay near $900 for that bass since it will take a minimum $100 to make it playable if the buyer is not handy with repairs and setup.

8. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I'm sure the kid did make a bad buy and there was likely a hard minimum set on the bass. It's really the hard minimum (not much lower than the tagged price on a used piece) that you have to get around, and that can't be adjusted by anyone at the store level.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it was marked at $899, they paid $450 for it.

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006

Or less.

11. Agreed.

On another note I was just into the new GC in Lincoln,NE. I asked ( while standing in the bass section) if they had plans to stock any six strings. The salesmen looked at me like I was stupid and pointed at the wall on the other side of the store and said "We have a bunch here right now." I wont even get into the response I got when I told him I was talking about a six string bass, not a guitar.

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    it was probably the salesman's personal bass! :)

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As I said before, the bass is not worth getting unless the price really drops, so I'm not worried about it. I am just marveling at the balls it takes to charge that kind of money for something so damaged. I mean, who do they think will buy it? At $900, it's not for kids. I can't imagine a parent buying something that beat up for a kid. I know experienced working bassists won't touch it. I can see that bass sitting on the shelf for three or four years, and that is something that is not unusual at alot of GCs.:rollno:

14. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

That kind of stuff happens all the time. I saw an 80's fender bronco bass maked for $650.00:rollno:
    Eventually it'll be marked down , or if you know anyone that works there they can prolly talk to some one who can mark it down.

I've done it at my local GC there are a couple of guys that have been in the bass dept. for awhile and know me sorta kinda and will work with me .

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is another real possibility. I know the GC at Fairview Heights, Illinois has an early 1990's TRB5 for $1,299. It's a great bass, but that price for that bass is ridiculous IMO. A store manager told me that another manager needed money and was given an enhanced amount of money for that bass.

16. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    There is a used Cirrus at Manny's Music on 48th Street in Manhattan. It looks like someone dragged it behind their car. The finish has almost entirely worn off and a couple of knobs are missing.

I think they're asking around $700(Its a four string).

Much like in your case, Dr. Cheese, someone will pay way too much for it.

17. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    you should just be blunt with him and tell him his store is full of idiots.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not that I'm trying to derail a rant but...

My advice: Ignore the crap and look for the pot of gold. I spend pretty much no time on lost causes like a bass in substandard condition that they clearly won't bargain on and instead just wait for the stray MTD (635), Fodera (Contrabass) or Surine (Protocol 7) to pop up relatively cheap.

:D

I personally don't care what GC paid for anything... that's their business, not mine:D. I care only about what I can get it for. For example. I was told the Surine Protocol 7 bass was traded for some effects pedals. Even if it were traded for vintage gym socks worth $20, the asking price of $1,000 was cool with me. If they'd asked for $2,500... thanks, see ya next time.

People think I do some kind of magic negotiations to get the weird deals I'm up to my neck in. I don't. It's rare that I'll even ask a followup question to my basic one... "What'll you take?". Just the stuff I get with that keeps me too busy to waste time in serious negotiation.

That's all. Either the answer is cool or it's a pass.

Know what you're willing to pay. If you can't meet somewhere near that... "Thanks... see ya next time":D

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Why, because you care?
    :meh:

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1, I agree that the bass is not worth pursuing at the going price. That's the end of it for me. I am just marveling at the nads it takes to slap that price on that bass.