1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More GC Stupidity!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    It's true, like in my previous posts i have a Bandmate that works in the pro-audio department, i had started a thread in december about it when i first heard about it and it was confirmed. Like i said Poor workers make a poor store. Complain directly to corporate.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LMFAO....yeah....you might have 2 or 3 years on me, but our times are definately in the same decades. I do actually play multiple instruments, including Guitar, cello, keyboard and Tenor Sax. I have only been giggin about 25 years, but my playing time has greatly diminished in the past 5, as my business began to grow.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just to let you guys know I'm not a total GC basher, I just got a nice deal there today. They dropped almost a third on the marked price on a Peavey Foundation 5 for me. This was in response to prices I mentioned on ebay.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I don't recall being familiar with bandmembers' instruments that we didn't play being anywhere near a priority back then. Still isn't.

I play part time and end up busier than I need to be.

I used to play trumpet but since I don't anymore I don't pay attention to it. Because I have no reason to... and better things to concentrate on. If someone in a band with me needs suggestions or help on instrument specific gear, they can do what I do... research.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You can't please everyone. I have some basses that most people can't play without buzzing. OTOH I can. Put those basses in GC and I guarantee someone will complain about it.

You're saying that GC trains store managers to do trussrods and basic setups? That seems like a waste considering their payscale... why not just hire a basic setup tech?

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    What was their return policy? How long did it take for you to figure out something was wrong? If longer than the return period, why?

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    What you can do is provide the store documentation to give them an idea of the value of the bass. Printouts of websites that sell them new for instance. Magazine reviews. Contact info for someone in the industry who can vouch for it. When you have an outside the box instrument, you have to think outside the box when trying to maximize it's value at trade-in time.

That said, I never trade-in instruments.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'm all about the art of the deal but here's a thought... how much is your time worth?
    :meh:

You're saying that, instead of buying a bass you found, you'll keep looking in the hope that you'll save $13.

9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am actually really happy with the last 2 purchases I made at GC. The Markbass CMD 102P I have delivered from the Towson MD store, and the SB-2 I bought from the NYC store. :) I give them credit for taking a risk and rolling out a new product like Markbass instead of playing it safe and sticking with the usual assortment.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The Markbass line was the best thing I've seen there in a long time. Pro grade stuff that exceeds expectations.

11. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Best deal I've ever seen: Several years back, a guitar-player friend of mine snagged a brand new $900 Ampeg combo for about $200.
    Apparently, the thing arrived at the store with a blown speaker. They tagged it at $200 while they waited for a replacement speaker; then forgot to reprice it when the new speaker was finally installed. Whoops.
    This was at a small local shop. I believe the owner let someone go for that.

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Heh heh heh. Just after reading the first page of this thread... I gotta say...

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2003/gui****edcenterws6.jpg

[​IMG]