1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

more noodles than a ramen store!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by great bleudini, Aug 13, 2019.

1. great bleudini

great bleudini

Sep 19, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Thinking of changing directions with the band. New name is Jimmy Jones and the Noodlers. Set up for our last gig started off with guitar player plugging in and noodling after he got his level set. Noodled while everybody else was trying to get set up. In between songs noodling. Drummer could not count us in until noodling was finished. Singer could not make banter with audience due to noodling. During break singer and guitar player noodled. Any song that had breathing room in between verses had to have a lead thrown in. Don't get me started on rehearsal.

I have a couple of options:
    1. Go with it. Instead of rehearsing and playing songs with structure gig will be noodling blues solo in Am.
    2. Have serious talk with guitar player, maybe have cattle prod handy for when noodling emerges.

pablomago, arbiterusa, RyanOh and 8 others like this.
  2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    3) Make pasta!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Option 2.

Sixgunn, Aaron Mc and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I've had to deal with noodlers a few times over the years. It's a big pet peeve of mine. :banghead:

"Good evening everyone and thanks for coming. Tonight we will be performing our new triple CD, Noodling in Am, in its entirety." :rollno:

Seriously, option two sounds good to me. :D

Reedt2000, Jimmy4string and Wisebass like this.
  5. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Send him to NA (Noodlers Anonymous)

"Hi, I'm Jeff, and I'm a noodler." :unsure:

Everyone: ("Hiiiii, Jeffff...") :meh:

"I've been a noodler for about 14 years. It wasn't that big a deal at first, but as time went on, it just kinda took over more and more of my life. My friends started to tell me I had a problem, but I just didn't want to hear it. Even when my wife left me, she said it was because of my noodling, but I just figured she was being a drama queen. Finally, my bandmates sat me down and made me realize I'd really developed a problem. They showed me a tape of one of our shows, and what I was doing. For the first time, I could see how I looked, the momentum I was sapping out of the band, and... well, I couldn't really deny it any more. So here I am." :(

6. I yelled at a noodler guitarist a while back,

One act I work with performs at a big state run Veterans Home (Not the VA) that has a nice big stage & a huge turnout.
    To close the show typically I put on a recording of Ray Charles "America the Beautiful", It goes over great & many folks get misty-eyed as it becomes a sing-a-long..

Noodler couldn't help himself, started to try and noodle to the song, Had to tell him to shut up, It's sacrelige in my book… He's the drummers' buddy.. uggh…

Pulverizor and DaveDeVille like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Go for what's behind door #3.

Pulley and ropes!

Tie ropes around his wrists. Run thenropes through a pulley. Mount said pulleys to something solid (wall, PA sub, ceiling, etc.). When he starts to noodle, yank the crapnout of the ropes. Regardless of which way his arms are yanked, he'll quit noodling.

And if he goes to take a swing at you, yank 'em again!

Wavebird, 4stringsjack and portpc like this.
  8. Couple of things here:
    spaghetti.
    Option 2:
    sparta.

9. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I hate this more than anything, it makes you sound so amateur. I was on a gig Friday night schmoozing the crowd between sets with the BL and I thought to myself about the unique version of the song that was playing. Turned around to see guitarist sitting on a stool at the back of the "stage" noodling along to the music playing over the PA. The worst part, he is the BL's father and most experienced guy on the gig by a long shot.

It just baffles me folks can be so oblivious.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Lay down the law. Noodling is unprofessional. Nobody wants to hear it except the noodler.
    I almost walked out of Tedeschi/Trucks band. Derek Trucks noodles endlessly. The band could go have a beer between songs. Bought the fab T/T live album. Take out the noodling, it would be a single album.

portpc likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Next t time he does it at rehearsal, everybody stop, and just look at him. When he finally gets it and stops playing, ask him "are you through? We'd like to get some work done." Then the whole band can have a talk about playing in a professional manner.

12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Man, I'm having flashbacks to playing with The Noodle Five, Funknoodle, and The Noodlesville Travellers, and it makes me so very, very, very grateful for the guitarist I currently play with. We don't hear a single note outside of a song. He even has his tuner on a silent bypass. :angel: :D

14. A noodler and I sometimes get the call to play for our church. It's a UU church so he must think it's OK.

SaxBass likes this.
  15. turcmic

turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Bedrooms are full of noodlers. That’s where they belong.

El Thumpo, portpc, interp and 2 others like this.
  16. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    I saw Phish play Madison Square Garden NYE ‘95. For a band that makes their reputation playing improvised jams, I was struck that every note was part of the show. Absolutely no random noodling.

Ever since I have been hyper aware of noodlers on stage!

17. landrybass

landrybass

Oct 23, 2011
    Sometimes I end up manning the computer in recording sessions. How about a noodler guitarist who noodles over the talkback mic when you’re trying to tell them their timing is so bad the takes are unusable.

Beej likes this.
  18. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Best thing I've seen was recently, you could see the singer getting annoyed with the GP, so he had a word with the drummer. At the end of that song, the GP started to noodle, the drummer called "On2, 1 and 2" and the whole band went, including the GP, although he was definitely behind the beat for the first bar.

The GP also turned the most interesting shade of red I've ever seen under green lights...I think he was annoyed... Second set there was no noodling, I kinda wish I'd been a fly on that wall...

Wavebird likes this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It is okay to noodle as long as you are noodling Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.

20. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I got noodlers. My noodlers noodle the next song in the set. Almost every time they noodle around on the notes or chords of the song we are about to play. Song Broadcast Noodlers are the worst.

BOOG, Thorny1, edencab and 5 others like this.