1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

more noodles than a ramen store!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by great bleudini, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM.

1. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play a lot of songs where I don't come in for the first verse, or verse and a chorus, etc... Part of me wants to keep track of where I am in the song, so I sometimes "play along" through that part, but....with the volume control turned off on my instrument. It's a silent "noodle", and even at that I'm playing the part I would be if I was in at that point. There, Ive said it; I'm a silent/closet noodlist.

Anyway, my first comment to an actual noodler would be "they're paying us by the hour, not the note" and see if he got the hint. The gigs I play, if you noodled, you wouldn't be asked back - noodling in a church service is just not done. We're there to create a mood, and noodling is not a technique that does that. While a bar band isn't exactly the same, you are there to create a mood (it's a different mood, but it's a mood), and again, noodling ain't a technique that'll ever help.

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The answer to 90% of the band member issues posted here is - talk to the person.

kesslari likes this.
  3. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    Say it once - and then if ignored - give up. Trying to get others to do anything is a waste of time. If they are reasonable they will stop or engage rationally why (Insert whatever bothers you) is good.

4. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    during rehearsals you could always noodle/step all over his solos or intros , wait for the stink eye and say "Whut?"

danesdad likes this.
  5. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    I noodle on stage sometimes, but I have the common decency to step on my tuner switch first.

6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You clearly take your music way more seriously than I do...

Sixgunn likes this.
  7. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    Alabama
    Snip his guitar cable with some wire cutters... that otta piss him off.

8. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Or dump a jar of sauce on him.

9. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    tenor.

danesdad likes this.
  10. Turn to the guitarist and say to him in your loudest most threatening voice, "Can you just shut the f*** up while we get things dialed in? Thank you very much."

Always say thank you. It shows that you care.

kesslari and Oddly like this.
  11. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    I believe you're in the minority on this subject.

12. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Best answer here.
    It's always worked for me.

13. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Speaking of noodle slap,

Reminded me of a young band a few years back imitating the Mudvayne sound, loud rhythm guitar and out front bass tone with a lot of gratuitous slaps and pops. It was hard to tell when one song ended and another began, the bassist never really stopped. Pity too, they had some decent songs.

Couldn’t an IEM setup be utilized to allow the noodler to hear himself without driving everyone else nuts? Might be easier to figure out how to work with them than to keep kicking otherwise good players out of the band.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:15 AM
  14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you've muted yourself, you're not noodling in the sense described here. You're displaying an awareness of how you impact the world around you, rather than being cluelessly oblivious.

Datsgor likes this.
  15. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    God yes! A nice song that comes on strong off the count, and the surprise is gone cause the noodler already played half of it.

Datsgor likes this.
  16. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    :rollno::rollno::rollno::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Datsgor likes this.
  17. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    Always a good place to be. Bandwagon logic never holds sway with me. This is a thread about noodling... what is yacking - verbal noodling.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM
  18. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Fettucine! Radiatore! Mostaccioli!

7615 likes this.
  19. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    Alabama
    I just stumbled into a whole bowl of noodles here. Is that Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai? lol...

0:45 hey bro could you shut the .... up for like 2 min plz, we're tryin to do somethin.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:04 PM