Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More practical: Phaser or Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dalley, Nov 9, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Hey,

More specifically, MXR Phase 90 or BOSS BF-2. I know these are two different animals but if you only had to choose one or the other???

I'm in a cover band that does anything from Tool to Van Halen to Dance Music ... I recently have decided to go with a simple pedal setup until I find a rack unit that does what I need. I was using the flanger effect in an old ART Multiverb that just died and was wondering between these 2 pedals ($50 budget if I can ... used), which would be more a more useful mod effect?

Thanks

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    they sound different, listen and decide.

flanger is more versatile also, wich also means more complex.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I own both. But now I'm downsizing my board, the Phase 90 is the one I'm keeping.

Alex

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I tested out both side to side when I was a kid. I went with the BF-2. It was more versatile and more fun to play with. I didnt use it much in a band setting though. I recently ebayed another one and am hoping that in my old age I'll know how to apply it.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I love flanger because it's more extreme. Which is why you end up being able to use a phaser more often.

6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Phaser without a doubt for me.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I'd kill to have a BF-2 on my board right now but can't afford it, so that's where I stand. Flanger for me, but a Phase 90 would probably get a lot of use.

8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Flanger for its versatility. I have a vintage FL-103 Ibanez analog flanger from the late 70-'s early 80's and I love it from mellow to extreme.

9. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    phase 90

but again,
    its all depends what music u play, what u need more, diff circumstances has diff result

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Exactly!

Alex

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't really know which is more versatile because I think it's a matter of opinion, but please consider the following.

Tom Morello was always a huge Flanger user, but in Audioslave he's removed his Ibanez DFL Flanger for a MXR Phase 90. He uses the Phase 90 for the Rage covers too.

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Well, this is a discussion i have had form time to time. Whithout using any brand names, models, or actual devices in your answer, and without asessing them as to thier usefulness, can you (any) explain the difference bwetween a CHORUS, a PHASOR, and a FLANGER?

In short, exact what do they do to the original signal??

So far the answers i have heard reveal that FEW can.

13. I could take a shot at it... but have you read the Harmony Central Effects Explained page?
    Not that I'm against posting the differences here, but my understanding is not far beyond the facts on that page.

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

awww crap. no, i didnt see that thread. ok, so my question is nothing more than a rehashed, been there done that question by some bored TB newbie. sorry guys. And to think i attempted a hijack with a repackaged question.

I embarrassed myself today. oh, i did.

15. I had one of the old brown Boss Bass Flangers for years and found it either sounded similar to my CEB-3 Chorus on the mild settings, or was way too out there on the more extreme settings to be used. I ended up viewing it as a bit of a novelty pedal and sold it this year.

I have had around thirteen variations of the Phase 90/100 over the last eight years and the Phase 90 is what I keep coming back to - great pedal, easy to use, compact and has THE phasing sound I love. If you can afford it, try the EVH version, as it has a switch that changes the phasing from Script mode (mellow, subtle phasing that you can use all the time to add a bit of colour to your sound) to Block mode (fuller phasing, sounds great on bass, from mellow slow phasing to faster, UFO descending type sounds at the most extreme setting). If you cant afford the coin for the EVH, then go with either the reissue Phase 90 or a block logo one second hand, as they work best on bass.

16. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    thanks for all the input guys!

I think I might be leaning toward the MXR at this point ... does the MXR take the same AC plug as the BOSS/Digitech effects? I have the OneSpot with the daisy chain and want to make sure I dont need an adapter plug....

thanks again

17. The current Phase 90's (orange block logo and the EVH) take the same barrel type Boss power adaptors as most pedals do. Some of the original block logos and nearly all of the script logo use a different, thinner style adaptor (the original script logo Phase 90's are 9 volt only, no power adaptor socket, but a battery will last for a long time in these).

18. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    I had an MXR Phase 90 and a Boss BF-2.

The BF-2 hardly got used. The Phaser added just the right amount of effect, so it stays, the BF-2 goes.

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have both and use both often...

20. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Had a flanger, ditched it for a phaser. Happy.