Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More problems lol

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ok guys, this is a strange problem. I don't see how it makes sense.. but yea. When I plug my guitar into my buddies amp (60w fender Rumble) he plays nice :) tone works now so does volume.. but it's dual input so when he plugs in my bass gets REALLY quiet. Also his amp came with red LEDs on the bottom, and when you hit the strings they flash brighter.. when I do it they don't flash..It is as if the amp isn't getting enough power from the guitar but that kinda doesn't make sense to me, unless the pups are battery operated. I think the pups are good because the sound that comes from this bass is sweet!
    Any ideas? Thanks for your help guys! :) and keep on rockin'

2. correction; it has two input jacks - but only one should be used at any one time.

If I read your post right, you're plugging two instruments into one amp. The amp is NOT designed for this and if it's under warranty I would advise against doing that.

The reason one instrument is louder than the other is because one input socket is set up for passive instruments, and the other for active instruments. They have different impedance characteristics.

If you really need to plug two basses in, but you only have one amp, you need to buy or build a simple resistive mixer to blend the two signals into one prior to the amps input socket.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yes.. but his is ALWAYS louder.. and my instructor has a similar amp with to input jacks.. and the same thing happens mine is always so quiet you can barely hear it... while their's is blasting
    I plug mine into the passive and mines lower.. I plug mine into the active and it's still lower.. his is always louder

4. quite simply your bass probably just outputs a low signal amplitude. Have you changed the battery just in case? There's nothing necessarily wrong, it's just how it is.

There's a number of factors that could be different between the two instruments; the output impedances, the output amplitudes, the input impedances of the two inputs of the amp, the active EQ settings on the basses etc etc.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    my bass doesn't have a battery.. a 1973 P-Bass

6. fine, that wasn't clear from your original post.

...there's your answer! A '73 P-bass versus some modern, active bass (probably, I'm just guessing) is ALWAYS gonna have less output.

Another factor would be the pickup height.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    his is a new P-bass MIA.. but it wouldn't be THis much louder.. you can barely hear mine at all.. and the pickups are maxed out heightwise.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    oh yea, and I forgot to mention that when my guitar is played by itself it plays fine. loud and clear.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Again, it's not your bass or the other basses. It's that you can't plug two basses into those amps at the same time, as they are designed to be used with just one instrument plugged in. The two jacks are for active and passive use, not simultaneous use.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    ok cool I guess that's acceptable.. it just seems weird that mine is the one that is ALWAYS lower.. no matter which jack i'm plugged into.

11. Refering back to my original reply, it's also got a lot to do with impedances. I'm guessing that your basses impedance is dramatically different to your buddys basses impedance and when the two compete to feed their signals into one amplifier your bass just gets overwhelmed.

It's hard to describe without putting on my engineers hat - suffice to say that I'm sure there's nothing wrong with any of your equipment, it's just how it is.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    ok thank you niftydog :) <DumbJoke>I guess it isn't the size of your impedance.. it's how you use it :-D </DumbJoke>