More Punch Needed!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Sep 29, 2004.

1. As I have already said, I am in need of more punch. I don't have a compressor, but I have been told by a friend of mine who is a session bassist that a 4x10 would give me more punch and move more air. My amp is an Ashdown MAG 250 with a 1x15. Is this the solutuion?

Many thanks
  2. you can get more punch and volume with the addition of 10's to your amp. I would suggest adding an 8 ohm 2x10 cab to drop your impedance to 4 ohms, giving you all 250 watts from the MAG.

This is assuming that your current 1x15 is 8 ohms.

I don't think your amp has enough power to properly run a 4x10.
  3. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Get your hands on a SansAmp BDDI. That's what I did, I can't tell you how much it improved the sound of my MIM Jazz. I never play without it, and it's way cheaper than most cabs. Just my 2 cents worth. :bassist:
  4. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been experimenting with 12's lately, but I miss the PUNCH of my very heavy Eden 410XLT. A 410 will give you the fullness you experience with your 15, but not the roundness, replacing the roundness instead with punch. Once you get used to the punch of 10's, its hard to imagine playing without them. Adding a 210 would probably be your best option...then you get the punch and the roundness. Be careful though, the 15 may assault your audience more than you realize because it "throws" farther. See if you can borrow a friends 210 for a gig or practice to see if it gets you closer to what you are looking for.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    10's give a great deal of punch, although a lot of people prefer 12's. If you can, try each of them out. Either will give you more punch than a 15, although you'll lose a little low end.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nonsense. Its total error to ASSUME that you lose a little low end when using a 4x10 instead of a 15. I've said this many, many times, do an A/B comparison and be enlightened. The 4x10 will give you more lows, but a different KIND of lows.

The make/model of the 15 cab is a great influence on the results, but 9 times out of ten, you will get more lows from the 4x10 run withsufficient power.
  7. Wow thanks guys. Because space is a slight issue for me, I was eying up ashdown mini 48, a compact 4x8 that takes up the same footprint of my MAG. plus, I could then sell the mag, buy a 500 or so watt head then add a 15 and so on and so forth.

Also, bit of a stupid soundng question, but where do I put it in relation to the combo? on top, to the side or underneath?

Thanks for the help.
  8. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

Yes, 10's will give you more punch. a punch, both in sound and to the nose is fast right? well, 10's in the physical sense are smaller therefore faster to respond. Also, I use a compressor to give me that real fast even attack. You might want to try that at your local store as well. Good Luck!
  9. Does anyone know if I can use a pair of ashdown mag 2x10's? Ashdown haven't got a rear panel picture on their website. Any experiance with ashdown 4x8, 4x10 or 2x10? Please let me know.
  10. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    It depends on what the impedance of the speaker is that you are running now and what the min impedance of the amp is. I would just get a 2X10 to go with what you and and it should sound great.

I don't think you need more watts to sound punchier. Stick with the head and get an additional cabinet.
  11. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Cheap and easy alternative if you don't want to buy a new amp or cab (or even if you do). The Aphex Punch Factory. I got one a few months ago and now I use it every time I turn on my rig....every gig, every rehearsal, every practice session.
    When you consider my VERY punchy rig (Mod Q5 through EA iamp800 and 2-CXL112s.) it is quite a testament to how useful this thing is. The name is very appropriate.