Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Wineing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lbanks, Jan 27, 2004.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Good evening, all. A visit to A.G.B. caused me to start watching Firesign Theatre's "J-Men Forever". This in turn forced me to start drinking a 1996 Red Bordeaux. Half-way thru the 1st glass, it hit me like a brick. French wine is a cut above all the others I've tried. And I haven't been drinking crap. I've been sampling vintages from Indiana to Chile, from NY to Melbourne, and they just don't match up to the smoothness, the scent or the flavor of the French wines. However, I've not tried everything. If anyone knows of a American wine that can match the French, hip me to it. I need to satisfy my xenophobic tendencies...

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There's an Australian I just had that really impressed/surprised me. Of course, I can't thinnk of the name right now. I'll ask the person who brought it and post later. -Had a Crocodile on a yellow label....

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think it depends a lot on what your individual tastes are and what your price range is.

I was at a Spanish wine tasting a while back and had a really nice wine that could compete with some very good Australian reds. However, the Spanish wine was $80 a bottle and it would be on par with some $30 Australian reds.

Likewise, id imagine there would be a lot of wines that could compete with French reds, however on a price for price basis, who knows!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There is a winery up north of me, in a city called Woodinville. It is called Chateau St. Michelle.

I don't drink wine, so I can't comment on the quality. I do know they are always winning awards for their wines.

-Mike

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Sure it wasn't a kangaroo on a yellow label? That stuff is flying off the shelves. I think it's called Yellowtail(?).

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I brew beer and have little time for wine in my life, but...

There are many Napa/Sonoma wines that I enjoy as much as Bordeaux. They won't match the Bordeaux style but they are equally stellar in their own style.

I like big reds. I really enjoy a good Zinfandel. For you non wine drinkers, I'm not talking white Zinfandel or the crap in a box or screw top you associate with Zinfandel.

Try Ravenswood's Zinfandel. As with many Napa/Sonoma winerys they have a blended variety (cheaper grapes also used, a blend) and then the better stuff. Both are very good for the price but go for the more expensive bottle made from old vines.

I also enjoy Cline's (Sonoma) reds. Big, bold, and spicy.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Our shops are full of French wines which can be cheap or very expensive - along with lots of Spanish and Italian ones that are high quality.

American wines are very much in a minority here, and I must admit I have never bought a bottle of US-origin wine - although I have bought a lot of Spanish, Italian, Greek and occasionally German and French wines.

The US wines are almost as much in a minority as UK-based producers' output!! ;)

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ok. I just picked a few to sample this weekend...

2002 Beaujolais-Villages Red Burgundy,
    2001 Chateau Souverain Alexander Valley Merlot
    1998 Cas Lapostolle Rapel Valley
    and a bottle of 6 Grapes Port
    ... now I'll cook some ribs for tomorrow...:smug:

9. I could see using that bottle of port to make a killer marinade for those ribs!

Where's Gil Leveque when you need him?

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ah yes. They soaked all night in a bath port, vinegar and worcestshire sauce...