Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tanoka, Sep 10, 2004.

1. tanoka

Sep 10, 2004
    Hi to everybody, I´m new i this forum, my name´s David and I´m from Spain. :)
    I´m a great fan of Morphine and their personal sound, I´d like to know how did Mark Sandman to get that hypnotik-dramatik tune. I know he played slide in a 2 string-bass, I´ve also read that he had a kind of mix betwen bass & guitar, but I´m lookig for how he made this.
    Any information, picture or coment is wellcome
    Thanks & greetings from Barcelona ;)
  2. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i also love morphine. i thought he used his A & D string with the D string tuned to an E. so when u use the slide it's 1 & 5th chords.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He has amazing tone.... I'd love to learn more about him. It's so weird, he can play simple droning riffs and they sounds like a symphony. Only a bassist like Mark Sandman could make a band like Morphine work.

Why must the talented die young? :(
    Morphine is one of those bands that could be around for a long time.
  4. I actually got to meet Mr. Sandman for a few minutes at a bar in Minneapolis around the "yes" years. I asked him about his bass, and he told me he played a four-string bass with the D and G strings removed, and also had his frets removed from a fretted bass. Don't know if he played that his whole career, but at least during that album he was. Nice guy, by the way, real decent to a guy who just sort of walked up to him and said hi.
  5. iirc, he used an old Premier scroll-horned bass, which was strung with the two middle nut slots filled (as in a & D string positions) and he used a whole set of P pickups, on e coil placed in the neck position, and one of the coils in the bridge position.

He was the coolest, smoov-est cat ever. Great band, sorely missed.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know, it's weird. I have some live videos, and it's live, too, so it's not production magic.

He's one of my favorite bassists. I absolutely adore Morphine; Cure for Pain is one of my favorite albums.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig everything I have heard by Morphine, and I wish I could come up with some the riffs that Mark Sandman did.

Like Swimming is my favorite album by them, narrowly beating out Cure for Pain.
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I own 2 Morphine cd's (Good and Yes) and I love them.
  9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    well, I'll be the odd man out--I didn't like morphine--but I loved Treat Her Right! Saw them live in 87 or so--Mark played "Low Guitar" as I recall it was a regular guitar run through an octave pedal. Billy Conway on the "cocktail" drum and jim fitting on the harp made for an awesome blues/roots/punky kind of thing.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Hell yeah, I heard the live tracks on the B-sides CD and damn I would have guessed it studio.
  11. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    D and G string tuned up to A. I know he also play a tritar (sandmans creation) with 1 bass and 2 guitar strings.

D was the key of Morphine.

Night proves how great they were as band.