Mos Def

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by the_vza1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    As a bassist? I have no idea, but he is an incredible lyricist.
  3. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    he's one of the best hip hop artists alive.
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Last I checked, Doug Wimbish was his bassist.
  5. Yes, Doug is playing with him. Cool stuff.
  6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have to say I was very disappointed with his last album. "Black on Both Sides" is a classic, though.

It's interesting, because I was also disappointed with Talib Kweli's last album :(
  7. He was supposed to be doing some cool stuff with his "rock" band Black Jack Johnson. But, I dont know if it ever got released..
  8. the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    i dont think ive ever heard a mos song i didnt like but ive heard hes an alright bass player, can anyone confirm?
  9. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mos Def is one of the few rap artists around and I love him.
    As far as bass, no clue.
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Pretty damn good actor in my book as well....I work with a guy who used to spend quite a bit of time with MD...according to my friend, MD's one of the nicest, genuine guys around.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Some of the tracks they did are on his new album. They're actually not too bad, a little rough, but had a lot of potential. It's a shame it fell apart. Unfortunately, their prescence kind of broke up the cohesion of the album and made it seem more scattered than it should have been. There are still a few worthwhile tracks and I, personally, would advise picking it up, especially if you can find it used/for a good price.

Mos has probably the best voice in hip-hop and his flow is unmatched, except perhaps by Thaione Davis.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I recall seeing a show or special on Mos Def on some channel years back and he was playing a bunch of different instruments but my opinion was he was not proficient on any of them. Just enough to be musical. This was years back though. Skills can improve over time but IMO, he ain't no pro bassist. Hell, I'm still trying to cop the cd Malcolm Jamal Warner did with his band Miles Long to see how good a player he is!
  13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    10 years too late.
  14. and it's the wrong rapper, but it's a cool song:(
  15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Mos Def is a great bassist!!< all you have to do is go get "Black on Both Sides", hes doing almost all the bass on that as well as producing and arranging. He has a really old mowtown feel to his playing AND some great bass riffs he uses Fender Jazzes and Precisions with flatwound strings. Mos has done studio bass for many hiphop artists and r&b artists. He did release some material on BlackJack Johnson but good luck in finding it. He's alsow worked with Head Fake as well.
  16. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought Black on Both Sides was pretty good, but man, he always seems to be best on a track with other people. I feel the same way about Talib Kweli.

Actually, I've always felt MD never made that classic album where he let's loose all of his lyrical skill and fury. It's always one good song here and there. Don't get me wrong...I think MD is indeed one of the best emcees that has been introduced. But it's like he never achieves the potential I wish he would, emcee-wise in a song. He's at his best when he gets aggressive on the mic.

At this point, I see him kinda going the way of Common Sense. Superb emcee, but is now currently caught up being a "neo soul artist" or something like that. Darn darn darn.

I want MD to come out full strength on a straight hip hop album like Del's "No Need For Alarm". I will be a proud MD fan when that happens. Until then, I'll keep talking about his old songs.

And yeah, it seems like the dude can act too...