Moses Graphite???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 7, 2005.

Okay, have any of you guys had any experience with Moses Graphite before???

I was considering it for an upcoming project, but am having second thoughts because of the graphite fingerboards installed.

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have heard nothing but good things about moses graphite, but there are always tradeoffs for different materials. Carbon fiber is harder to drill neck mounting holes for, and needs inserts of some sort, IIRC.
  3. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    If I'm remembering correctly, it was Moses that Hambone had real trouble with a while back. The fingerboard was sunken or something at the last few frets. He sent it in to have it fixed, and it came back just as bad as before.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Okay, maybe I have heard some bad things... Wierd. I never heard any of this stuff before.
  5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I built that five string T-bird with a Moses neck. No problems out of the ordinary. I didn't think the neck was as clean as it could have been. Some of the edges were a little sloppy and there were little pin holes in the finish. There where a couple of high frets that I took care off. Still overall the bass came out great and the customer loves it.

Edited: No longer the end of the story.
  6. There isn't a seperate fretboard on my neck - the back and fretboard are made as a single unit. The extension that was mentioned above was an option that was added on and hence was poorly made.
  7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I'm doing a couple of builds with Moses necks right now. They are pretty comfortable feeling. The matte finish is not spectacular to look at and I'm not a big fan of the headstock shapes. I think some of the fancy new finishes might help with the blah look of matte graphite. I've had good interactions in general with Steve there and the mounting kit is decent. I think the basses will turn out pretty nice.
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Brian Bromberg used them for many years. I was fortunate to be allowed to play some of his basses...WOW! Good enough for him, good enough for me. One day I'll use one. BTW, Bud, your Status plays like buttah, and sounds great as well!
  9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Hope you have good luck, Matt.
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I did a Warmoth build with a Moses. I experienced some of the minor finish issues that Budman discussed as well, but nothing that effects playability at all. As far as the finish I like the dullness of it, graphite really looks best dressed like this, if it's too smooth and glossy it looks like plastic(IMO).

Tone-9 warm and fat
    Fretwork-9 not one problem

The necks need to be tapped and sleaved to accept the bolts. This is a pretty crucial operation, drill press required. The only negative besides the minor cosmetic flaws was the time it took to take delivery of the neck. It was custom, however, and this is sometimes the case no matter who you are working with. I would not hesitate to recommend Moses to someone who was SURE that they wanted a graphite neck, the tone is "as advertised" on their website!!
  11. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You can view my personal experience with them--in all its excruciating detail--here:

Short version: Good product, sub-standard service in my case. And when I finally got my neck it required some extra work that I opted to do myself rather than send it back to Moses, because I had already waited so long to get it.

Again, you can read all the details in the thread above. This is only my experience, mind you, and others have had great experiences with Moses.

Tonally, I liked the neck fairly well (on my bass it sounded very maple-like) but, ultimately, not enough to stick with it. I've since gone back to the original wood neck on my old Frankenbass. Just something I personally liked about the feel and sound a little better.

I was originally interested in the graphite necks for the durability of their fretless fingerboards. In this area I believe they excell like nothing else I've ever played. Other than that I just wasn't as into the graphite as I had hoped to be. But then, of course, business is still going great for Moses, because there are plenty of people who disagree with me.

Hope this info helps you in your decision.

12. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    My jazz neck has the common cosmetic issues (little holes, etc.) and high frets. The fingerboard extension was so bad we cut it off the other day with a disc grinder. I had mucho trouble with the mount kit (mushroomingof the graphite). Since been drilled out and dowels epoxied in. Normal neck bolts are better for me.

Also had a guitar neck, it was so bad that we sent it back to Steve Mosher and got a new one. I still don't like the mounts.

I had a KP-5 electric upright from them, and it was great.

Mixed bag of results, your mileage may vary.
    If I need another neck at some point (and Im sure I will!), my first choice would be http://www.usacustomguitars