Moses neck users, please look...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Jan 26, 2005.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    and it's not a customer service-related thread...

i'm in the process of building a "parts bass" or however you want to call it. i hesitate to call it a custom bass because i won't be actually building any parts for it, just assembling and finishing it. but whatever. anyhow...

the neck i'm going to use is a stadnard fender jazz pocket, 34" scale length neck with the in-line 4 hooked style headstock. my question is i need to use a string retainer (or 2) at the headstock in order to get enough downforce across the nut to ensure proper sustain and etc.? or is the headstock set back enough from the fingerboard/nut to not need retainers? stewmac sells some nifty little roller units i'll be using if i need them.

also, if i do in fact need to use reatiners, do you know of anywhere that i can get insert similar to the ones moses sends with the neck (for mounting) except in a smaller size? i found some for use in wood that i'm going to use for the cavity cover, but i don't know if these will work in graphite...

please help!!!
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I don't think you absolutely need to have a string tree, but it wouldn't hurt. I had one on mine, in the standard spot - d/g strings.

As for finding threaded inserts, it might do you some good to ask in the Luthier's section here.