most likely location to split

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Aug 24, 2004.

1. I recently had a conversation with Nashville luthier David Harvey about hybrid basses and the potentially abusive bluegrass festival environment. His opinion was that a carved top shouldn't be the source of worry since most of the cracks he repaired were on the backs of basses. For some reason I have always thought that most cracks would be on the softer tops rather than the harder backs.

Are backs more prone to splitting or is David's experience an anomaly?
  2. In my experience the spruce tops are far more likely to crack/split than the maple ribs and back. This seems to be true in all the members of the violin family of instruments. However, the backs of flatback basses cracks/splits more often than carved backs.
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
  4. My bass was made in 1998, and has aquired several cracks. Apparently it has a rough life... But all the cracks are in the top, none in the sides or back. I think the spruce is much more likely to crack than maple. Maybe it's different as the wood ages or something, but thats my experience anyway...