1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving is a pain in the ass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Clyde_Simpleton, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Change my mind

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    After being one of those guys that everyone asks to help them move, I can safely say that moving is a pain in every damn part of your body. Especially your knuckles- always wear gloves.

GregC and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I think you should renew your existing lease. Moving is a pain in the arse.

PillO likes this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Why would I want to?

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I read somewhere that moving is the most stressful event anyone can go through, including death in the family.

murphy and pappabass like this.
  6. Das Jugghead

Das Jugghead

Oct 28, 2015
    Indiana
    I was born shortly after my father finished his service in the Army and we toured America and most of Canada in an MGB GT for many years while my father worked to figure out what he wanted to be when he grew up. We literally moved every few weeks. I remember my father knocking on farmers' doors asking if we could pitch a tent in their field for the night and that we would be gone by morning. Yes there are some fond memories of the nomadic lifestyle but mostly I remember the visceral awareness of not having roots. I think (IMHO) that we as a species have an innate sense or desire to have roots - to be established or to belong.

I hate moving. In my adult life moving was frequently associated with a negative life change - death, job loss, divorce, relationship ending, etc... The only thing I hate more than moving is moving someone else's crap. I have moved my brother and sister-in-law five times in the nine years I have been with my wife.

As it relates to my parents, once my father did finally figure out what he wanted to be and passed the Bar, we never moved again. My parents stayed in that house until several years after my sister completed college and got married. That was commendable in my eyes given the constant upheaval in my younger days. Even so the angst of moving has stayed with me to this day. Despite the fact that my wife, son, and I moved to a very nice home in a beautiful community with amazing neighbors the move still re-animated all those negative memories and emotions for me.

To the OP - yes, moving is a pain in more than the rear-end; it slams the heart in even the crustiest of us old bastards.

pappabass likes this.
  7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You're right. That's why I prefer to lay motionless.

BurnOut, rendevouz, murphy and 3 others like this.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    First, sell all your stuff. That way you don't have to move anything. Next: SHOPPING

murphy, ituobrey, two fingers and 4 others like this.
  9. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Having been hit hard by the economy starting in '08, we ended up moving four times in six years. For the first move, we got rid of TONS of stuff, and even more with each subsequent move. But guess what, we STILL had more crap than we needed, and each move was still a major pain. Never any fun.

I'm hoping I have one more move in me, as my wife and I will downsize for our golden years sometime in the future. But not too soon.

murphy, Randy Ward and Das Jugghead like this.
  10. You will find things you have not seen since the last time you moved. You won't see them again until the next time you move.

PillO, murphy, juancaminos and 4 others like this.
  11. My wife and I moved six times in the first four years of marriage for various reasons. After the fifth we decided we had tapped out all our family and friend moving help so we bit the bullet and hired movers. Best decision ever! We've moved two more times since then with movers and just pay the $400-$500 and call it a day. So much faster than doing it ourselves and relieves quite a bit of stress too.

12. Upgrade that donkey to a moving truck or get a better saddle.

13. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Not possible.

I purchased my home at the absolute worst time in 2006. Divorce and sale of that home forced a move.I could feel the economy dumping and knew financially that it would have been smart to rent for a couple of years (it wasn't obvious how bad - could probably have bought it for about $100,000 less in 2009), but the thought of moving twice in a couple of years made it an easy call to just buy the damn house.

I didn't used to mind it - when I could fit everything I owned into the back of a pickup, but "stuff accumulation" can be brutal. The hardest thing for me is the garage stuff. Household stuff tends to pack pretty well, but tools and miscellaneous lumber, pipes, yard stuff and other big awkward stuff just doesn't pack well, typically requiring multiple trips with open air trucks and trailers besides the moving van load.

Depending on what my musical life looks like in a few years (and have retired), I have one more tentative move kind of planned. Hoping that's it.

murphy likes this.
  14. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I've helped several friends move and it's always a massive pain in the crack.

I've always told myself that when I have a big move, I'm not going to bother my friends to help me. I'm going to hire a moving company.

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    The last time we moved, we hired a truck with three guys to help. It still took all day and we had to make another trip the next morning. It's a major pain in the butt and I'll not do it again, at least not any time soon.

16. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Once you’re out of college, nobody wants to help you move. They might say yes, but they don’t want to. I couldn’t imagine asking friends or family to help me now.

GBBSbassist likes this.
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Sure does. That's is why I no longer own a truck.
    I was very popular when I had a truck," hey can you help me move".

mexicant and S-Bigbottom like this.
  18. The last time I moved (16 years ago) I hired a moving company. If somebody asks me to help them move , I say "No. Hire a moving company."

murphy likes this.
  19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have a van. The hand truck is for PA equipment. Neither is available. Why do you ask?

20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We hired a company for our first big move. It turned out to be the most dishonest business I ever had to deal with and huge pain in the tookus. Never again.