Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MP3 players for recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I am sorry if this has been covered to death, but my search didn't hit this topic very well.

Is anyone using an MP3 player or similar device (like the Nomad Jukebox) to record live from the board? It seems that one of these solid state devices would save a step or two compared to mini disc when moving files back to the PC for editing. Since they can be hooked up directly with a USB cable, music files could be transferred much faster than real time recording through the sound card like I have to do with my minidisc. You wouldn't have to do the extra D-A-D conversion.

Am I missing something here? I don't know much about these, but it seems that if there are models with a line-in and a USB connection, it would work.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My Nomad has a built-in preamp with +48 dB of gain, so it can accept a mic level signal. I would never do this though unless desperate, for the preamp is a real dog.

4. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hi Joe,
    I am reporsting my remarks that I have made in another thread in this forum:

I use an iRiver iFP 590T MP3 recorder with 256 MB hard disk and a miniscule stereo microphone that I got with a walkman a long time ago. Recording at 320 Kbps it delivers an astonishing sound quality and gives me 1h45m recording time. Battery life is also excellent and navigation is easy. To top it off, it is the size of a box of matches. I edit the recordings with Nero wave editor and post the results on a website at 80 Kbps (to keep down the size of the files). My fellow bandmembers can listen to the recordings on the internet the day after the rehearsal. It works perfect for me.

Steven

5. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i have the iriver ihp-120 it is very good. it comes with an external mic aswell. Whats good is that the line in can be for analog or optical. it records great for me. Cost me £255 though, so i would use something less expensive. As long as it has a dedicated line in i suppose it is good enough