Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535 For Modulus Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mach1FT, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    Thinking of trading my Mtd 535 for a modulus Q5 and thoughts why I should or shouldn't??:eyebrow:

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think value wise the MTD535 has the Q5 covered plus some money, so unless you're getting some money on your end, I think you could sell the 535 and go buy a used Q5 and have some spare change too...

3. Two totally different basses. What don't you like about your 535.. and which neck and body woods do you have?

The Modulus basses are very well made, and have a very hi fi sound... at least the one's I've played with EMG's were. Obviously no dead spots at all (although none of my MTD either), and a totally stable neck (although my MTD neck doesn't move at all). I had a Sweet Spot Modulus for a while a number of years ago... it played and sounded great but was just a little too 'sterile' for me, and I never could quite get used to the 'plastic' feel of the neck.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Think I'd keep the MTD if I were you...

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'll go out on a limb and say no way would i trade an MTD535 for a modulus. no sir !
    but hey, if you are looking for the modulus sound, all i can add is i wish i had one to trade you!

6. +1 I would have to agree... but as you know, different body wood combinations on MTD"s can sound very different, and he may not like his particular model. That being said, I've yet to play a Modulus that I've liked as much as the least favorite MTD I've ever played:ninja:

7. I own a Modulus Q6 and love it. But, if I owned a MTD, I would not trade it for another Modulus.. Two totally different animals..

8. MTD Man

MTD Man

Jun 12, 2004
    USA
    It all depends on the tone you want!

Obviously both basses are well-made, but it all depends on the tone you are going for. My 535 has a Mahogony Body and a Wenge Neck and Board giving it lots of growl, which isnt my kind of fretted tone, but it would sound sweet for fretless. (im going to have it converted)

For fretted I was looking for a more vintage/phat tone that had the same versatility/playability as my MTD. So i bought an F-Bass, and i am MORE that happy with that purchase.

I think no-one here will complain to you about any workmanship problems with these basses, so its really up to the sound. Listen to records of players who use the different instruments (listen to how they sit in the track), and please play one before you buy.

I have heard reviews that confirm what KJung said about the sterile tone of the Modulus, I have even heard examples that sound thin, to me. But its all about the type of tone you want. The bass is the place where your tone starts, so its important for it to sound the way you want, because you can only change it so much with pre-amps/processors/etc.

Good luck in your decision.

Chris

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

+1. Modulus makes nice stuff. MTD makes GREAT stuff.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think Modulus' are way cool, but...

No way, no how, no sir...

UNLESS...

The Modulus came with a good chunk of extra cash, AND I was specifically looking for the Modulus sound. You'd be losing both cash value and versatility, but if you really specifically want the sound of the Modulus, there's only one way to get it...

So what it all boils down to is the specifics of the trade and exactly what you're after just like others have said.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've owned both basses.

Does string spacing matter to you? The Modulus has narrower spacing than the 535.

Neck profile: the MTD has the best neck I've ever played. The asymmetric profile is perfect for my hands. Of course that, like most other variables, is simply personal preference.

Tone: the Modulus has the best B string I've ever played, and the most even tonal balance across all strings and up and down the fretboard. It's got amazing punch and growl, especially with the bridge pickup dialed in. My 535 was tulipwood/wenge, and had a more organic tone: I had no trouble making it Fender-y. For whatever reason, I could get a wider variety of tones from the 535 than I could from the Q5.

My choice would be MTD, primarily due to its perfect playability (perfect for me). But pick whichever one you like: I don't think you can go wrong either way, assuming the playability suits you.

12. +1... I forgot about that narrow string spacing on the Modulus 5 string... much tighter than the MTD.

13. I have had an mtd 535 but sold it...i currently have 3 modulus basses...i guess im from the other school of thinking compared to everyone else...modulus doesnt have a resale as high as mtd though{depending on woods etc}..but its hard to find tighter string spacing like the modulus which once again is just preference

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Tru-dat. I'm pretty sure the Modulus' are the old school 5 spacing of 17mm. The MTD 535's are all 19mm.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You are correct, Sir!

There's a Wide 5 Q5... same neck width as the sixer... 22mm spacing at the bridge! But those are extremely rare.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    HOLY COW! And I thought Warwick's 20mm was wide! Man, it's either all or nothing with these guys... that'd be TOO wide.

17. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    I have the tulip/maple burl with wenge/wenge and the satin finish.

far as the string spacing between the modulus they both feel comfortable for me..

I have a Q5 now 1990 model which i have play since it was new up until the pre amp crapped out. so rather than spend the 140$ to get it fixed I got the MTD.. "Wifes Idea" go figure. lol

Think the problem is not with the sound but more the up keep.. half the time after driving 2 hours to get home after a gig my bass would get left in the car in the middle of winter for a week or so..
    bring it in plug it in and it's still in tune..

the finish on the mtd is already starting to shine from slapping.. which wouldn't be a problem but it's a satin finish.. only 2 months old..

dunno maybe I need to just play in more and get used to it..

18. That sounds like a GREAT MTD... great wood combo. Regarding the slap shine... all my basses have that (and it happens very quickly)... it's just a fact of life. Unless you have a pickguard, you will either get scratches on a poly finish, shine on a satin finish, or just plain old wear of an oil finish.

Regarding keeping your bass in the cold..... DON'T DO THAT... Modulus, MTD or anything else:eek:

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    WOW! :D

Yeah, this is one of the primary advantages of the synthetic necks. However, to be honest, no offense, but I'm shocked you'd do that to either of these basses. I NEVER leave my basses out in the elements (either very cold or very hot). That way I don't ever have to worry about aclimating them every time, and the potential setup headaches associated with doing that to them.

Yeah, it's a catalyzed poly finish, and it will develop a shine on rub spots... this is not really a problem, the finish isn't wearing out on you, just the nature of the beast. It's a very tough finish.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I agree with basically everything said above. I played a Q5 for years, got a 535 and ended up selling the Q5. With the Q5 I LOVED the B and E strings, but the higher strings weren't doing it for me any more tone wise. The MTD is the opposite (though I like its B and E better than I liked ADG on the Q5). I wish I could cross-mojenate the two of them.