1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD 535 or Lakland 55-94?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dessunx, Apr 11, 2009.

1. dessunx

dessunx

Dec 2, 2008
    Singapore
    I have been playing in church for a couple of years now. Been hit by GAS attack recently and would like to have my 1st MIA bass. I don't get to try any of the 2 basses where i lived so i really need feedback from you veterans before i jumped right in and get one of this shipped to me. :) I'm looking at a used one btw. Looking thru the buy-sell section, i think i can get a decent condition one at $2,500? So please help me out.:hyper:

2. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    if you find one used, an mtd.
    If you want a brand new bass, go for the lakland

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Apples and oranges. Both are at the level of quality that neither will be "better" than the other, it's going to be about your personal preference and which one fits you better. Play examples of each and buy whichever one you like more.

4. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I haven't had a 55-94, but I've had both a 55-01 and a MTD 535. I was much more happy with the 55-01. I'm probably going to buy a 55-94 or 55-02 in the future. The B-string on the 55-01 was plain and simple leagues better than the mtd 535 B-string.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Which one are you able to get used? I don't know anything about MTD prices, but you should be able to get a 55-94 in excellent condition for closer to $2000.

6. dessunx

dessunx

Dec 2, 2008
    Singapore
    Unfortunately, like i mentioned, i don't get to try any of this in Singapore, where i lived. Do you know any websites where i can listen to examples? Can't really tell difference from Youtubes.

7. dessunx

dessunx

Dec 2, 2008
    Singapore
    I have been eyeing Talkbass and Bass Central. These are my only sources for used bass at the moment. I came across a MTD 535 on TB recently but seller didn't want to ship to where I am. Sigh...:crying:

8. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Dude! Thats like comparing the Bears to the White Sox! You can't!

Get both

9. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Both are excellent instruments. If you do a search for threads started by TB'er "VroomVroom" then you can find threads that he's posted with soundclips of his 535 and 635. I'm not sure where to find clips of a 55-94. IMO, the walnut top, ash body, ash neck, maple board is by far the best sounding MTD wood combo. Of course it depends on your personal preference and needs.

I have heard that MTD's don't cut in a mix, but my MTD with that wood combo cuts through every mix with no problem.

To my ear, and IME, the Laklands are a bit too compressed for my taste. That could just be my ear, though. It is true that you will find Laklands closer to $2K, though, if saving around $500 is an issue.

Good luck!

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Lakland's website has lots of sound samples of their basses. I'm not sure about MTD. Both are great basses, but MTD's tend to be more modern sounding, where Laklands are better equipped to do the vintage thing rather than the modern vibe. However, both are very versatile, adaptable instruments and will probably both do the job equally well.

11. Let me live my life thru you.Get the MTD.

12. I had an opportunity to play both MTDs and the Skyline series Laklands a few weeks ago. While I can not comment on the 55-94, the import version of the bass was great. However, the MTD is an incredible instrument. The neck is extremely comfortable and the sound is phenomenal. In the future, I will own an MTD.

13. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Also, www.Basstasters.com has a lot of recorded examples through all kinds of outboard gear. You could get some samples there.

I know you live in Singapore and that shipping's a pain in the butt, however those instruments are relatively easy to flip. If you bought something used for $2000 and you didn't want it, you could probably resell it pretty easily without taking a huge hit or loss of money.

I know you said you play in church, but what kind of music does the church play?

But yeah, everyone's right. Apples and Oranges. They're both great, too. So either way, you probably won't regret it.

The Skylines are a great option, too, for the money. To compare a Skyline to a MTD American is a bit unfair since the US Laklands are closer to the MTD quality than a Skyline. The US Laklands do have some kind of mojo that does feel like a more expensive bass to me.

Though you said you wanted a MIA bass, there are tons of MIAs that are 1/3 the cost of those basses you want! :)

14. Fenders, Spectors, Musicman, and G&L are just some that come to mind.

15. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I think you need to tell us what sound you are going after.

16. I love Justin's Mtd tone

17. diglo

diglo Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    I've played both and different models. I've enjoyed playing more Laklands than MTDs. The MTD has more high end zing, while the Lakland is more vintage. I think the Lakland give you more tone options.

18. Dont hear that too often...wow. I can see a -94, but a 5501? Ive played both, and the MTD destroyed my 55-01. I dont think you can go wrong either way. My two fav bass players ever play each (Gouche on MTD, and Skeet Curtis on Lakland).

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    that's not just your ear: the 55-94 is quite compressed. It is not as big and round as a Fender or a USA MTD.

20. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I have a friend with a 535 & I have a 55-94, we regularly trade off and are both comfortable with either bass. They are both so good, the trick will be to find a way to A/B them.