1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale MTD 634 Walnut, Wenge Neck/Board, OEM Bart PUPS/PRE

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ElMon, May 3, 2021 at 2:12 PM.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Boy howdy if this bass could talk.

I'm the original owner of this bass.
    Ordered it through Glen Kawamoto at Austin Bass Traders.
    Kind of a dream bass of mine that was an attempt to get at a few odd-ball basses I loved for one Franken-Six:

• Warwick'y Tone because of the Walnut/Wenge Combo (pretty close)
    • Wide Spacing which I came to prefer over anything else (18mm in this case)
    • The snap/full-bodied beef of a j-bass-esque, soapbar-equipped bass
    For that last part I ended up taking out the Bart Setup, which I've never really liked all that much (more on that later) and put in an Aguilar 3-band EQ with the Barts.

Better but not quite there.

So I sold it.

SOLD - BRAND NEW MTD 634 w/Aguilar Pre and VTC Wenge/Walnut NO TOP

The next owner put in the bart setup, chastised 'the original owner' me in a (I thought) condescending way, and then after seeing it bounce around, I got kinda heated and bought it back.

My next project: Roger Sadowsky's fantastic pre, with VTC, and some Aguilar Big Single Pickups. Note to any potential buyers: the cavity was routed out slightly to accommodate the Barts. Clean work and see pics.

Tonally results? Best J6'ish tone I've had, and the huge but was mainly that it was a 6-string.

So I sold it, and the new owners put back in the Bart pre ... sound familiar?

SOLD - MTD 634 Walnut (no top) Wenge Neck Sadowsky Pre Aguilar Single Coils

Now, I still maintain that the Sadowsky pre/Aggie pups in one of Mike's basses is a really cool sound, and if it was a 5-string, I would've just had a 'forever' bass.

But, as GAS sometimes goes, I saw this beautiful, chocolatey walnut beauty up for sale on Ebay, exactly as Mike Tobias would've prescribed as the bass Shaman he is, and just couldn't resist. Good day job at the time, and a balance in my PayPal account.

Here's where I eat crow ...

I went with a Cuban-Thai fusion as to spices. Very hot peppers, Cumin, Garlic Salt, to name a few things. I don't know how much it helped but I kept it down at least

This bass, with the bart pre/pups, which I never really gave a chance to, sound best for this bass. The bass 'as is', as of May 3rd, 2021, has the original Bart Pre custom-designed for Mike Tobias's MTD line, as well as the pickups.

I'm really glad I had a chance to experiment like that, but now that I have the original pre/pups, I can see that while I still don't have the instrument I want (mainly because of the 6 thing but because tonally I do prefer my Sadowsky PJ5 and Olinto P5 every single time) what I have is much more suited to Mike's original concept.

• Mid Switch all the way down (250hz) with miss boosted slightly, and then bass/treble boosted: fantastic finger-style tone you could use all night. More MIDS on the bridge pickup and back off the treble and you've got 'that Jaco sound' ... More MIDS on the neck and it's a good P-Bass approximation. Down the center and with the ability of that treble knob to hit the stratosphere in a way that the Sadowsky pre can not, and you have a vicious slap tone
    • Mid Switch all the way up (1Khz) with a cut, and bass/treble boosted a bunch ... and man that's not really my go to sound, but Holy (pun intended) Schlamol-ee that is a fantastic urban gospel sound. More dry snap because of the wood combo than I'm used to in the lows/highs, but the Low-mid-rich thing this bass just has built-in gives it a tremendous clarity

I've got the OHSC, the paperwork, and while the bass itself weighs about 11lbs (10.6 or so) the case feels like it weighs as much as a 70's muscle car. Including the short Italia strap and the Schaller strap-locks (not original mind you) that came with it, and this strap is only for you 'play the bass up by my neck tie' folks. If you're like me and like it slung low (or even in between) let me know and I'll include a brown leather strap that is more middle of the road.

Not looking for any trades, and not looking to ship to Europe. PayPal preferred and I'll be shipping FedEx. Shipping included unless you live in the far reaches of the US or in Canada, and then we'll work something out.

Thanks for reading if you got through all that!

IMG_3010.jpg IMG_3009.jpg IMG_3007.jpg IMG_3008.jpg IMG_3005.jpg IMG_3006.jpg IMG_3004.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 3:41 PM
  2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Ok, not being an ass, but I lost track in the story timeline. What is currently installed - pickups/preamp?

ShawnG and Obese Chess like this.
  3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Original Bart Pre/Pups that come with all MTD basses. 3-way mid selector, Bass/Mid/Treble Setup.

ShawnG and RichSnyder like this.
  4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Edited the original post, and the part in bold makes this more clear. Recounting 'the odyssey' of this bass I guess I got lost with the Sirens. Hope they were 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' level hot.

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Tonal note:

The Sadowsky basses I own, and increasingly I'll include the flats-strung Olinto P5 I've been using more and more, sit in the mix in a very unique way that has to be heard/felt. Thick-all-over with a bloom to each note. For folks evaluating gear/reading players comments about tone, that is my 'sound in my head' template. Going for guys like Jamerson/Willie Weeks/Chuck Rainey, but with a killer B-string.

My mods for this bass was an attempt to get that MTD closer to that ideal (for me) sound. What you have here, with it's original EQ setup, is more of the quintessential 'modern bass tone'.

If I was exclusively doing Urban Gospel, Neo-Soul, or Modern R&B, it might be a keeper despite the 6-string thing.

sfbabali likes this.
  6. Viggo51

Viggo51

Oct 26, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    This bass has made it full circle again

ElMon likes this.
  7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I’ve seen (I think) the ‘classic’ bart setup having a VTC/tone control option. If that’s the case I might put a 534 version of this bass on my GAS list. That VTC on my Sadowsky basses was a game changer for me.

8. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

I have a VTC on my 534 fretless. :woot:

ElMon likes this.
  9. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Beautiful piece of walnut!

ElMon likes this.
  10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I will have GAS for this option of Bart setup+VTC. I have to think that having that option (so much different/better than cutting treble) along with the surgical midrange flexibility is something to behold

My Uncle (RIP) made cherry wood Shaker boxes for a living, and Mike’s stuff reminds me of him.

One thing that IME is undeniable, and again I’m a YUGE Sadowsky fanboy: the MTD’s I’ve owned have a playability/set of ergonomics that is second to none.

bass12 likes this.
  11. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    You mention the cavities have been routed out to accommodate the Bart’s?
    Do you mean the Aguilar?

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sorry, yes I meant the Aguilars and that you can tell now that the Barts are in there.

local friend of mine did the work initially and I think he did a really fantastic job.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021