Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston's Tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vision, Dec 16, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm considering a lower priced bass as a backup to my Cirrus 5, and I would like something with a bit more of an old school tone. What is the tone profile of the MTD Kingstons and Heirs? I've read great things about the build quality, playability, and fit/finish of these basses relative to their price, but how do they sound?

Also is it worth it to get the active model, or should I just get the passive model and upgrade the preamp myself?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its an amazing bass, even the passive tone is killer. I wouldnt call it an old school tone though. The passive one is definitely not too modern but its no p bass or that type of vintage.

3. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Gotcha. I'm wondering how the Musicman/Jazz pickup combo sounds...does it have any of the classic jazz bass tone?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not all kingstons have a musicman/jazz combo. Most are just the one musicman pickup.

5. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I see. I guess I would be more interested in the Heir, with both the jazz and MM pickups for versatility.

Anyone out there that has experience with the Heir?

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have a passive Heir 4-string.
    Love the neck, sounds good.

The volume on the neck pup; at least on mine, is a lot lower than the bridge pup.

I'd like it more if it was 2 J pups though.

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Hey!, tell ya what, just wait because Mike Tobias told me via telephone that there will be new Kingstons and Heirs out in 2006. They're going to debut a the winter NAMM and ther will also be a sixer!! The new ones are supposed to have exotic tops new pickup designs that can now be swapped out with most pickup manufacturers, unlike the old ones. and satin finishes.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would like to see a kingston with a slightly heavier body wood, something a little more interesting looking so there can be trans finishes. Swamp ash would be nice

9. +1

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also perhaps fretless models with a real ebony board or something.

11. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    This sounds really good...I wonder if they'll be at the NAMM show?

12. Mhmmm.... Winter NAMM Show.... *drool*

Definately looking foward to these new models. I was almost sold on a Kingston a while ago, but I just couldn't risk it. (No way of playing one.)

-ryan-

13. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Go for it! I really, really like mine. In fact, it has the best neck feel than any other of my basses. I really like the asymetrical neck and the slightly-wider string spacing than found on my Carvin or my Orion.

14. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Sweet, then I may just buy another one.