1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimiLL, May 8, 2010.

1. So why dont they make a 5er in a narrow (17mm) string spacing??

I think they make gorgeous stuff and I would have MAJOR gas for one, but I just dont like that wide 19mm stuff on extended range basses. Can anyone shed some light on this??

I know 2mm a string is not a lot, but it sure adds up once you start jumping over multiple strings!

2. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    Give Mike a call, I am sure he can do that..he is one of the best of the best lutier on planet earth.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You can order one with a hipshot a type bridge that allows you to narrow the spacing.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    mike is a super nice guy - spent a half hour with me on the phone when i bought tobias # 474 USED answering questions and giving me history of how the original tobias guitars evolved.

FWIW, i found MTD basses to be very comfy and didnt notice the spacing to be too wide. the asymmetrical neck helps a lot with this. it's no alembic (those fives and sixes can be ironing boards)

5. Ill have to do that

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I will echo the previous posts... If you can pay for it, Mike can build it.

His 6 strings are 18mm and 7 strings are 17mm... So it can be done.