1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTI SVT and 810 farting problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkrockmike, Dec 8, 2011.

1. So ill start off by saying that i love the tone of the mti svt. when i played through it before i bought it, it was hooked up to the seller's ampeg 215 with kilomax speakers in it and it sounded heavenly. got it back to the space, had some technical difficulties (which are now sorted out) and i couldnt be happier with the head. now im having farting problems. i have a newer china made ampeg 810 and it worked wonders with my svt 2 pro, but it doesnt seem to be able to handle much of what the mti svt throws at it. the svt is way louder and bassier overall that the 2 pro was. i have to eq the bass down pretty low in order to stop the farting at the levels i need to play at with the band, and that completely ruins the tone im going for. i tried to show the tech at a local shop how easy it was to make the 10" speakers fart, but the only 810 they had there was a fender 810, and that cab didnt fart out at all, but i noticed it has a higher power handling than the ampeg. any suggestions as to how to stop the farting without sacrificing my tone? i still havent tried running the cab in dual mode, separating the cab into two 410s. would that make any difference than just the single 810 mono mode? would upgrading the speakers help? or would i just be better off getting the 215 from the guy who sold me the head? i like the punch i get from the 810, so i'd like to stick with it and im not sure how the 215 would deal with the heavily overdriven signal i run through the head.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a bizarre problem, and it would require in person diagnosis or at least a video demonstrating the problem. At least for me it would. What point on the volume dial does the farting out start? Did you have the same volume setting in the Fender cab? One cab shouldn't have significantly more power handling than the other. What are the rest of your settings on the head?

3. around 4 or 5 on the volume knob. treble at 4, mids around 5.5 to 6, bass (preferrably) around 7 or 8. (this is all into the normal input on channel one) i think i may have figured out a solution to the problem with some adjustments i made to my sansamp bddi pedal haha. but what would hooking the cab up in dual mode do? im not near the amp anymore so i cant try it. what is that function even for?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, here's the problem...there is no problem ;) That's where the non-master SVT's start to distort. Totally typical. And of course, you left that part about the BDDI out. It sounds like you were boosting with the BDDI on top of cranking the dial, too.

Dual mode is for people who want to use two amps but only one cab, like maybe use the bottom half with a clean sounding amp and a dirty amp for the top half. No point in doing it with an SVT.