1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Much of a difference between cheap & expensive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NordLead, Aug 19, 2012.

1. NordLead

NordLead

Sep 17, 2009
    I'm not a bassist, I just play bass to fill in the low end in the studio. I recently had to sell my Euro 4 to pay off a bill but I'm back in the market for a new one.

Used, the Euro 4 (not the LX) was about $850 or so when I bought it. I'm taking a look at Guitar Center in the used basses section and they've got some Spectors for around $400 and even cheaper sometimes.

Is there really THAT much of a difference between a Euro 4 and some of the other cheaper ones I'm seeing? Most of the time I'm just grabbing a DI of the bass and I run it into an amp modeler. If I can spend a few hundred bucks less and get basically the same results I may just do that. I'm not sure if there will be that big of a jump in quality...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure, there are differences. Whether they add up to something that matters to you, I can't say. But even the cheap stuff these days is pretty good, and Spector makes some nice cheapies. But if I were in the market, I'd rather have the Euro.

3. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    My experience is that that cheaper versions get cheaper because they skimp in the Tone Woods and Electronics. If I find a Combination of woods and electronics that really work for me, I pay for them most of the time. But, alot of the modeling Software these days can get you past even having to have the "Goods" for the Good sound.

4. NordLead

NordLead

Sep 17, 2009
    I'm thinking of just getting a cheapo, like one of those NS2000 4-stringers for like $400 or so. I think that's the model anyway.

If there's not much of a difference in recorded sound quality, I'll go ahead and just get one. There's not much of a difference between my $400 guitar and the one I spent over $2000 on when tracked properly. I hope it's the same for bass.

5. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    I owned a NS2000/4 for a few years. Good for the price range, but really hampered by the electronics (old EMG HZ) and the weight (all maple, easily 11 lbs). An alright choice if the Spector is your bag, but there are beter basses to be had in that price range.

6. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Most of the time the cheaper ones are just outsourced. Sometimes that'll create a noticeable dip in quality, sometimes it won't. Occasionally it'll be the same instrument with cheaper wood (ie plain maple instead of quilted or flamed, Gibson likes to do this) Sometimes you'll get a phototop instead of a laminate. It's rare that a cheaper bass is actually worse than a more expensive one of the same brand, unless it's a starter pack type instrument (think Bullet Strats)

7. NordLead

NordLead

Sep 17, 2009
    I've got my eyes on an NS2000... what else could I go for that's better in that price range?

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Sometimes a cheap bass feels great in your hands. Once in a while a top of the line bass feels bad. Try it before you buy it.

9. NordLead

NordLead

Sep 17, 2009
    Honestly, if it's heavy or looks terrible, I don't care :p This will be for studio use only. I just need it to sound decent.

10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Than get a pbass it will sound decent in a mix.

11. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Woodward, Oklahoma
    the 2000/4 is a great bass. i would juice up the pups and pre. but compared to the euro, no. i have a korean haz copy and 35 dc's in ns-94 and it sounds good, but not euro good. but for $400, it's worth it.

12. There is no difference between "cheap" and "expensive" in most cases, mostly due to how subjective those terms really are and otherwise due to how much a Brand can tack onto the end of their product price for their name alone.

There is -however- a large difference between "good" and "okay" quality, but that has nothing to do with price at all.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of the time it does, though there certainly are exceptions.