1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mulling some PJ5 options ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Jun 28, 2007.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I really need a PJ5, its just the right bass for my style and my gigs. I came very close to buying a Sadowsky NYC but balked at the price at the last minute. If a used one would ever come up I think my problem would be solved ... but that doesn't happen very often.

I recently bought a wonderful Lakland USA Joe Osborne 5 (alder/rosewood/burst), but for my gigs the P pickup really sits better than a J bass of any kind, so I'm thinking over what to do ...

1) Sell the JOBO and some other gear, suck it up and buy a Sadowsky NYC built to spec.

Pros: its the bass I want.
    Cons: cost. serious cost.

2) Sell the JOBO and get Nino to build me a bass.

Pros: Nino's basses are pretty damn nice (I had #12 for a while).
    Cons: The wait, and I might still find myself gassing for an NYC.

3) Do the IotaNet conversion and have a P pickup routed on the JOBO :eek: Convertable pickguard, the whole deal.

Pros: Might end up being a killer bass, plays like a dream.
    Cons: Modding a >$2k bass is insane, might not turn out the way I like, would have to find a luthier to do it, total cost could approach a used NYC, 35" scale might throw it off of a true P vibe, and pickup placement calculation is tricky on the different scale.

There are lots of other options I don't like for various reasons (don't like the look or the polepiece arrangement on the Fender PDV, tried and disliked a lull ...), but I'll listen to any and all opinions.

2. wait till valenti #23 comes up for sale again, shouldn't take much longer:D

3. Have you checked out the Nordy basses any? Carey and the team could do exactly what you're looking for. Roughly half the price of a Sadowsky and a 3 to 4 month wait. Possibly shorter. They're great basses.

Just another option. :)

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nah if I get a valenti it will be to my spec.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I haven't, thats a good call. So they're in the 2k range?

6. Yep! Here's the link to the price list. But these are before dealer discounts. At the bottom of the list, you'll find dealers to contact to get your pricing. :)

Price List

Check out the Nordy Club thread if you haven't already. Alot of good user opinions in there.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I would have the P installed on the Lakland. Lakland's are great basses and from your wonderful comment, you like it. :) Selling a ball that you like sucks, I know.

8. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have a Nordy on order a JJ/PJ interchangable pickup at the neck two pickguards, blocks & bindings, matching headstock.
    Standard is around mid 2K with my adds there is an up change but sill less expensive than a NYC Sadowsky PJ5.

9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey

No joke. This one came up on bassgear.com 3 days ago. I think that the half dozen or so owners should split the calendar and each have visiting rights!

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It is a really sweet bass, so warm.

Where do you think the pickup goes on 35" scale?

Just measure my '71 then multiply by 35/34?

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds sick ... when's the delivery date.

Only thing I'm not feeling on the nordy is the headstock.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's a tough call, and since I play neither boutique basses nor fives I don't have much input, especially since you don't like the Lull P5 which is about all I could think of. (And IMO it sounds freakin' amazing. They're light too.) So while you mull it over, maybe install a series/parallel switch on the Lakland to get that P-like bump in the lower mids. I know it's not pure split-coil tone, but maybe it would tide you over for awhile.

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I dont know if anyone stated this yet but I know that Sadowsky is coming out with a P5 Metro. I'm sure they're will also be a PJ5 as well. It'll save you some dough unless you want fancy woods and stuff. Personally I wouldnt mod the jobo, sell it if you're unhappy with it.

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats another quality suggestion.

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yea but talk about a wait! Thats too far out for me.

16. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Late August to early September on the delivery.
    BTW if you look at my avatar that is a Skjold jazz style body the "Lions Pride" line that one is going to be a fretless 5 it has his C4 pickup in the neck with four coils in it configured as a P pickup where you can at the flick of a switch reverse the P.
    Checkout skjolddesign.com these to are afordable priced.

17. That's what I always came up with when I gave pup placement on 35" scale idle thought. Having just given it a bit more thought for other variables, though, it's worth noting that given that the difference in sound in pickup placement is caused by measuring different points of vibration on the string (it may be vibrating more or less or in a different way at different points), and the gauge of string is not changing (presumably) along with the scale length, the same spot at a given proportionate point on a 35" scale with the same gauge strings may not sound exactly the same as the same proportionate spot on a 34" scale.

FWIW, I'd guess if there's any difference, it would be barely perceivable given that width of each of the strings is about or less than a tenth of an inch compared to about a 3% increase in scale length. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and/or sound smart. :p :smug:

I don't know if anyone else can chime in on whether this is something to factor in. I'm guessing it's not, and that doing as you suggested would be fine.

18. Fender American Deluxe Precision V

apd5_tort.jpg

Discontinued but generally available used for around a grand or slightly less.

AWESOME bass with a nice legion of fans on TB. Check out this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310171&

EDIT: I just read where you said you don't like the look of this bass. Humpf -- don't sleep -- it's awesome.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That is sort of what I'm afraid of. I'm a freak when it comes to tone, especially on P-basses. :scowl: I think thats why I didn't like the Lull.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yeah -- that thing ... I guess I could just try one out, but I think having a "D string" sound on the A string would most likely bother me. I need my A string to be nice and fat.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021