1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi effects of stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Jan 7, 2018.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    My current effects needs are quite simple. I use:
    MXR bass octave deluxe
    DOD bass chorus
    Snark pedal tuner
    I want to add a bit of drive but don't use it much.

So I'm thinking. Would I get more mileage from a multi effects box? The MXR BOD is a great pedal and octave is the effect I use the most. I use chorus occasionally, the DOD does a decent job for that, and I could use drive occasionally too if I had one. If I went to something like the Zoom B3 or Boss GT1B would I get a good octave, chorus and drive? They all come with a tuner too which is handy.

2. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I personally went the other way.. started with a Boss GT-10B, and then went to stomp boxes. I don't have any experience with the B3 or the GT1B, but what I found with the GT-10B is a couple of things:

1. There is so much you can do with it I found it almost overwhelming. A multi-effects like the GT10B takes a lot of time to learn and really get the value out of it. I didn't spend enough time really learning it. If you like computers and really digging into everything they can do, a multi-effects might be for you.
    2. For me, the tones I got out of the GT-10B didn't match the tones I could get out of individual stomp boxes, with the stomp boxes sounding better. The fact that stomp boxes have little tweaking to them worked in my favour.

One advantage to a multi-effects is it will be way cheaper in the long run if you like to play with different effects. So, I would say if you want to kill a ton of time learning a multi-effects box, and you'll have fun doing it, go for it. If not, don't.

3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Over the years I keep waffling on mfx vs pedals myself and have had 2 or 3 B3s - it's easily the best multi out there for the quality at its stupid low price point. The issue is that while plenty of its effects are very nice (for OD, for instance, the Sansamp and BB models are really good), you'll eventually find one that is not so good (like its octavers aren't great) and you'll end up adding an analog pedal here and there anyways.

I have an MS-60B around to fill in gaps, myself, but for instance I'm not a fan of holding down the footswitch to get to the tuner, because it activates the effect briefly before it realized you want the tuner. Little nitpicks, not a huge deal though.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have yet to find an octave in a MFX that I like. While I am picky, if that's your most used effect I would consider that.

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks for the replies. It seems that the octave may be an issue then. They do seem packed with amp sims which are useful for hone recording maybe, but I'm not interested in these.

6. There are trade offs either way, for that reason I am a supporter of using both single effects and multieffects.

tfer likes this.
  7. Multi effects bring some advantages to the table, great effect selection, many functions, smaller size and cost, plus the ability to save settings. The trade off with a digital circuit is for some effects they simply do not compare to analog effect for some types of effects where the characteristics of an analog circuit add a pleasing magic. Analog octavers, overdrives, distortions and in some cases modulation really benefit because of the circuits.

8. que pasa????

que pasa????

Apr 7, 2010
    Mexico
    Hi!! Here’s the gt1b sounding like the digitech bass whammy:

For me, this generation of multi effects can replace a lot of modulation pedals!!

Cheers!!

9. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    I my experience MultiFx are great if you're a beginner and you want to explore different sounds until you find what are the fx which fits your needs.

Multis are useful too if you're a hired gun working for several artists/bands it's of to get all your fx and presets saved and stored in a compact unit.

Once you know what are you fx needs, then look for the best dedicated stomboxes you can afford.

In my case , after using several multis , my last pedal choice is a custom made compressor/overdrive/Di in a single enclosure. Those are the fx I use the most...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021