1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multiple effects pedals vs Multi effects pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MX5J6, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MX5J6

MX5J6

Oct 31, 2012
    Which is the best in terms of price and versatility? I know I will never use ALL the effects of a multi effects pedal, but is it worth it to have more to work with for probably less over time? Or is it a better idea to just get a few pedals whenever needed to achieve different things?

i willl be playing a lot of technical death metal, progressive metal and melodic death metal. I'd say djent but i will try to refrain from it. Oops...

Anywho, what is the best way to achieve versatility, as prog metal can be a very broad term. I want to be able to experiment but still have everything i know i will need and not too much of something i wont.

Once i figure out which of the two options is better, what pedals should I start looking into?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Start with a decent multi-FX pedal, find those particular elements you find useful, then go on the hunt for a higher quality single pedal(s) which takes it to the next level. Case-in-point: I had an ME-50B which offered quite a few FX options, sold it, and bought a decent tuner, compressor, and chorus. Suits my particular needs....YMMV!

Riis

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ditto on all points. If you aren't certain of which effects you'll need, start with a good multi and experiment. Once you get comfortable with a set of effects that work for you (and if you think it is worth the cash), you can start replacing the multi with better-quality pedals.

I too have an ME-50B and am nearly finished replacing it with better-sounding single pedals targeted at what I actually use (mainly few distortion/dirts, tuner, and chorus).

4. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Agree with the information above. If you can get one with decent amp simulation, this is also useful for 'trying before you buy'. After having my Zoom B2 for a while, I now know what I will actually use frequently enough to buy separate units for - compression, soft tubey overdrive, autowah, and chorus.

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I would suggest the Zoom B3. It's quite affordable, very good quality, and versatile. I've actually been replacing single effects with it.

6. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I was going back and forth on this as well and ended up with a Zoom B3. Can't beat the versatility for the money. Built in looper, drum machine and building/ editing patches is easy with the free share and edit program.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just an observation: When asked "...what's the best OD, chorus, flange, etc?", I rarely see any references to the more common multi-FX boxes such as the Zoom, Pandora, or ME-50B or resident programs / patches.

Riis

8. Or you could buy cheaper single effects used. I know Digitech pedals can go pretty cheap used, that's what I did up until recently when I really started looking for better effects. I didn't pay more than $30 for a pedal, and now I can recoup most of the money selling them to someone else so I can buy the stuff I really want. The Digitech ones let me find what I did and didn't like/use, and now I'm going to have a smaller, more focused pedal board. I do highly recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey for just a little dirt, though. Especially if you do the mids/bass mods. Great pedal.

9. MX5J6

MX5J6

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks for the quick responses. Looking into the Zoom B3, it seems perfect for what I need to start with. Looked up a few demos and it seems you can really get any kind of sound you want from it.

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I recently suggested the B3 for a "best od under $200" thread.

11. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I spent good money on a GT-10B a few years ago. Didn't last me six months. It had all the effects I wanted, and a ton I didn't. The octave didn't track well, the distortions and fuzz were unusable, and I didn't like the navigation of programming it. For what I paid for it i got a PT2 and all the pedals I needed. now I can add or replace as I feel like it. Get a cheap-o multi to experiment. Guessing you could find a used Digitech or zoom for next to nothing and replace it overtime with what you actually use.

12. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I can get a new Zoom B1 for $60 or a B2 for $100. It looks like the main difference between the two is the housing. The
    B1 is plastic and the B2 is metal. I can't find one locally, how do these compare to the Zoom B3? Especially the quality of sound. I can live with fewer features if the tone is there.

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had the B2 a few years back and it's pretty decent but the B3 is definitely better. The added parameters and effect options are part of what I think makes it competitive with most stand alone pedals. The amp modeling is really very good and can really warm up the od/dist/fuzz etc.

14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, the multis are good for garage bands, hobbyists, or people wanting to experiment at home and see what they like best in the effects realm. If you're gigging or have high-quality gear, you may want to move onto some singles with better tone/options. The versatility of singles is hard to beat...the only problem is powering them. YMMV, your taste is of the course the final judge in this situation.

15. Hope this doesn't hijack this thread at all but applicable.

I used to use the original POD and I always found that just using it was near impossible. I felt like one needed to memorize what bank and number each setting was in.

Do the newer ones like the GT-10 or B3 have an easier end use? Or do you still have to memorize/ write down where everything you like lives?

16. I was literally just thinking about this as I pulled up talkbass and my band brought this up in band practice last night. Here's my argument for multiple pedals. With each pedal you add, you're forced or at least impelled to learned it well. There's no wrestling with menus or screens. In almost no time, you know multiple tones.

You can also move the pedal around in your sound chain and around the board with no effort. I need to be able to stomp all over my pedals, turning them on and off as often as within a quarter note, hitting multiple pedals at once at times. those pedals have to be up front and/or next to each other, and you need a flexible pedalboard to coordinate a crazy show like that.

17. I think multi effects pedals are great learning tools and they can be great additions to otherwise professional pedalboards. That way, they can have the tones they are missing without buying a new pedal every time they want one. Janek Gwizdala would agree.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I highly recommend the Line 6 M5. It's a good place to start learning about effects and there are some killer tones inside. The bass octave is, by itself, worth the price of the pedal.

19. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Acknowledged and noted! That speaks highly of the B3. Any other FX's, programs, or patches you find particularly impressive?

Riis

20. It's clear from this post you've never played with an M13, M9 or a B3.

Fact: the most versatile boards have a small multi and a bunch of singles, because they're both awesome.