1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man bass paint flaking off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Al Bass, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    I've got two Music Man Stringray basses, a 4 and a 5 string, and the paint is flaking off on the backs of both basses and exposing the wood beneath. The exposed wood is perfectly clean and smooth and appears to treated as the paint flakes off easily and is not in the wood grain itself. I've easily peeled off flakes of paint in dime sized chips.

Obviously, the backs of the basses has been subjected to the heat, sweat, and movement as it rested on my gut for past 10 years of playing these bad boys, is probably to blame for the flaking of the paint. The front of the basses are perfectly ok, considering their age.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do? A Pro paint job? A DIY paint job? Thanks again!

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    That's strange? Have a sparkle blue Sterling in use for about a decade and no signs of flaking.

Given that it is happening to two basses, it might be your chemistry interacting with the finish?

Hey, it's the back of the bass. I wouldn't sweat it.

3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    No.

My 2000 stingray is just fine.

IMG_20160228_135048.

IMG_20160228_134514.

4. Gibme

Gibme

Sep 18, 2015
    Chemistry probably has to do something with it. Either that or you got a lemon paint job, which shouldn't happen on a stingray

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    On your way to a roadworn look

6. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Here's a picture of both basses with the paint flaking off. The black bass is the 5 string, the red bass is the 4. I had to put gaffer tape on the black bass as the paint chips would be all over my shirt and the rough spots would catch on my shirt as well. As you guys have suggested, I believe my chemistry or my cologne may have something to do with it. Would love to have the basses repainted but I've seen cost amounts as much $300 - $500. Maybe a DIY. Thanks for all the helps my friends. Peace. IMG_2836.JPG

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    The first pic sure likes like something reacting with the paint to me. Is there anything unusual it could come into contact with? Something on your clothes or body that only touches the back?

8. Magicrat

Magicrat

Jan 25, 2016
    I would say it's either your body chemistry or your deorderant rent or a combination of both our skin can do some funny things to paint or other types of finish.

9. I can't wait until paint starts coming off of my Fender honestly: "it shows character"

Really though, I was not expecting to see the paint coming off like that on the black one. That's wild, and I kind of like it; it has a pattern almost like that of oil being dispersed in water. I'd just leave it alone and let the paint job deteriorate "naturally", if no intent of reselling or something drool

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Yeah, quite normal.

Resonance of those babies is quintessential also because paint, which looks brilliant and shiny, ain't that thick
    I initially thought to figure a kinda peelin' off and securin' process (by a pro art studio) to give'em an appealin' agein' look, but then I opted to repaint'em all (again, professionally) for need been and I had to rapidly let'em go (they were a Stingray 5 and a Bongo 6)

Cheers,
    Wallace

I somehow still own Stingray's case tho'

11. I would leave it be, any instrument i see with wear tells me it probably plays great and sounds sweet,

I'd leave it be, people pay money to have their bass relic'd!

12. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    We play a lot of "corporate-type" gigs and we usually dress up and wear cologne, especially when we're around clients on our breaks, not to mention, the "ladies".
    Probably a combination of sweat and smell good.

The back of the basses where the paint is missing, kind of catches on my shirt and hangs up in the most weird positions, is the primary reason why I'm considering getting them painted.

I've always wanted to paint the red bass black, and I see underneath the red paint that the wood appears to be "treated" or has some sort of finish. I don't know exactly what it is, lacquer or whatever, but perhaps a project in the future.

Thanks again! Peace.

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

toxic_avenger_by_warnerc.

14. Bardy

Bardy

May 4, 2010
    Hi there.. I have an exact same colour RED Stingray that has the same flaking issue.... In the exact same spot on the back of the bass... I am alos wanting to strip it and re-paint it. It looks to me as though there are some imperfections in the original paint work which didnt adhere to the wood

15. But I'd say unlike nitro, IF a polyester finish flakes, it flakes exactly like this.

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have the same Red SR5 and mine is a 2001. No flaking going on with mine, and I sweat and have a belly too. I have gigged at least 800 times with this bass.

Maybe I need to wear more cologne?

17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The clear coating is a wash-coat/seal-coat sprayed 1st over the raw wood/under the finish - part of the process. The black one is wild looking - never seen a finish reaction like it. Just curious - if you pulled the tape you put on it, would cleanly remove the remaining black? If so, you could remove the black from the back (only) and either leave it natural of repaint it black.You'd have to remove the black there anyway to refinish it by sanding or heat-gun.

18. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Black one looks moisture related.

Any of those gigs happen outdoors in the ridiculous heat and humidity that you Floridians deal with?